PDA

View Full Version : Major Fuel Issue

vaslam1986
26-12-2006, 08:27 AM
Hi guys, hope you'll be able to help me, I've got an 2002 Audi A4 1.9TDi 130bhp....Ive had for over 7 months now and was achieving on average in the region of 44-50mpg but this last month it dropped dramatically to under 30mpg and sometimes as low as 18-20mpg. I thought servicing it might help but it really hasn't made much of a difference. Any ideas on what it could be and how badly it's going to dent my wallet? Any help would be appreciated...:o

adamss24
26-12-2006, 01:21 PM
Replace MAF. If in doubt, search the forum for how to ! Good luck.

vaslam1986
26-12-2006, 02:24 PM
Replace MAF. If in doubt, search the forum for how to ! Good luck.

wat is an MAF?

adamss24
26-12-2006, 02:32 PM
Mass Airflow Meter a.k.a. airmass meter. Search the forum for details as its been discussed many times before ! Cheers.

vaslam1986
26-12-2006, 08:42 PM
Mass Airflow Meter a.k.a. airmass meter. Search the forum for details as its been discussed many times before ! Cheers.

Cheers adamss24, are there any other factors that could affect the fuel consumption so dramtically?

adamss24
26-12-2006, 09:01 PM
Cheers adamss24, are there any other factors that could affect the fuel consumption so dramtically?
Injectors but that will show like a workshop light and will make the car run verry poor and probably hard to start when cold ! Get it scanned and make a note of the fault codes then we will take it from there ! Good luck !

RickT
27-12-2006, 12:36 AM
Get the faults codes if you can first of all before buying a MAF as there not cheap.. and post your findings..

Cheers

RicKT

andyroo
31-12-2006, 09:53 PM
Hi
I bought a 53 plate A4 Avant 1.9 130 Multitronic beginning of August and am averaging 36 The best I've had was 40 on a run of approx 250 miles. The official figures show that the multitronic is no different from the manual so that is not to blame!! I've spoken to friends with the same motor and they all attain an average of mid 40's I've also accosted people on fourcourts and in car parks and they all say the same, mid 40's. I'm persuing this with the dealer I bought it from (a VW dealer) they've changed the MAF, this reduced the smoke output considerably but the fuel consumption has remained the same and the performance is no different:aargh4: (pretty good for a 1.9). I've tried driving like a grandad and a lunatic the difference in fuel consumption was negligeable.Please keep us informed of your fidings it will be usefull to all.
Cheers
Andyroo

vaslam1986
04-01-2007, 02:59 AM
Hi
I bought a 53 plate A4 Avant 1.9 130 Multitronic beginning of August and am averaging 36 The best I've had was 40 on a run of approx 250 miles. The official figures show that the multitronic is no different from the manual so that is not to blame!! I've spoken to friends with the same motor and they all attain an average of mid 40's I've also accosted people on fourcourts and in car parks and they all say the same, mid 40's. I'm persuing this with the dealer I bought it from (a VW dealer) they've changed the MAF, this reduced the smoke output considerably but the fuel consumption has remained the same and the performance is no different:aargh4: (pretty good for a 1.9). I've tried driving like a grandad and a lunatic the difference in fuel consumption was negligeable.Please keep us informed of your fidings it will be usefull to all.
Cheers
Andyroo

rite a finally ran diagnostics on the car and it showed the reason for the poor fuel econonmy as being the water temp sensor. Got that sorted for £50 (parts and labour) i was dreading it because i got told it maybe the fuel injectors and they're like £450+ from dealer.

Neways hope this helps :beerchug:

andyroo
06-01-2007, 02:13 PM
Hi
They've allegedly run the diagnostics(what happened to mechanics?) and found no fault codes therefore as far as they are concerned all is well:1zhelp:

Andy.