PDA

View Full Version : T4 Cruise control

squelchy
02-05-2008, 11:56 PM
Hello Folks, Has any body on the forum fitted a retro cruise contor kit to a T4, I have seen them on E bay for about £125 fitted ( if you live around London) or for sale from Germany for about £64 + another £12 to post a kit.
Any one bought one and fitted it, any comments welcome. All the best, Squelchy:Blush:

carbon
03-05-2008, 10:26 PM
I think the price from a main dealer for the kit is less than the £64 from germany option. Your T4 does need to have a fly by wire throttle ie 2.5TDi. There are some checks you can carry out first to see if it's possible to fit it to your T4. After fitting cruise control it usually needs to be activated.

squelchy
03-05-2008, 10:40 PM
Thanks Chris, It is the T4 with the 2.5 and does have the "fly by wire" throttle. I have talked to a main dealer today and you are correct, £65 including Vat to pick up from them. Do you know what do I need to do to activate the unit when I have fitted it, the ones from Germany come with full fitting and operating instruction, I wonder if the english ones do. Your responce is appreciated. Squelchy:D

Brian Considine
04-05-2008, 07:33 AM
I think the price from a main dealer for the kit is less than the £64 from germany option. Your T4 does need to have a fly by wire throttle ie 2.5TDi. There are some checks you can carry out first to see if it's possible to fit it to your T4. After fitting cruise control it usually needs to be activated.

Thats interesting - am I correct in thinking it's basically just the switch & it plugs int to loom & then its activated by the main dealer ?

AFAIK the test is to rev the engine (in neutral) to about 2000 rpm & then hold the brake pedal, if the revs drop then the ECU will accept the cruise control.

carbon
04-05-2008, 09:04 AM
My kit had the full fitting instructions included which also included how to activate it as well. The main dealer can do this for you or if you know someone that has vag-com they can do it also.
Thanks Brian I couldn’t remember what the rpm’s were when posting this last night so thought it better to leave it out. It's a replacement indicator stalk with two additional switches and a small wiring loom that plugs into the main loom when you can find the connector. The worst part of the job is removing the airbag from the steering wheel as one of the clips on mine didn’t want to release easily.

squelchy
04-05-2008, 02:56 PM
Many Thanks to Brian and Chris, My t4 Does drop revs when the brake is applied, I found this out whilst trying to put a noisy drive joint under load recently. So I am going to buy one from Poole branch of VW and fit it and see.

I have had the steering when and air bag off before to fit a new ignition switch, What a job that was! Thanks again all. I will post again when I have done it, and let you all know if it works.. Fingers crossed.
Squelchy:o

Brian Considine
04-05-2008, 10:13 PM
I will post again when I have done it, and let you all know if it works.. Fingers crossed.
Squelchy:o

Good luck & any chance of the part numbers please (also what year your T4 is).

squelchy
05-05-2008, 01:23 AM
Hello Brian and friends,
My T4 is an ex AA van 1998 or 1999 on an "S" Plate, as far as I am aware, the part no. for the Cruise control kit is 7D0998527.

If anyone knows where I can get a kit cheaper than the £65 retail that I have been quoted, I would appreciate it.
Best regards, Squelchy:o