PDA

View Full Version : LED Daytime Running Lights

Rod Stewart
02-05-2008, 11:29 PM
Hi all,

Just picked up my new company car - A4 2.0TDI SE Quartz Grey (picks up the chrome better !!)

Great drive but a wee bit frustrated with my A5 colleagues and their brilliant white LED's compared to my halogen daytime lights...as like most of you on here I was initially offered this as an option...

Is there anything I can do myself to install these LED's ??

Please advise...

Many thanks.

Audi Nick
03-05-2008, 02:02 PM
If you look back at previous threads you will see that was discussed and talked about for months.

I (along with many others) feel cheated because we can not have the LED running lights and Xenon's. When I enquired about changing to an S Line, I found that I would have to pay for the B & O, which I have for free. Given that I am not a lover of the sporty lines of the S and would only buy it for the lightrs, the extra cost was substantial.

A retro fit will include headlight washers and to date I do not know of anyone who will do it. I must confess that if anyone is willing to do it (but not use my car to practice on) then I am more than interested.

The lights have had a major impact on my view of audi, a shame really.

Foringo
04-05-2008, 12:37 AM
Actually, now I've got my new A4 I like the look of the 'standard' lights but would still have gone for the active xenons given the choice. The halogen running lights also look ok but I suppose they consume more power than the LEDs. I was wondering if the bulbs could simply be changed for LED bulbs which I've seen advertised. The only question is which ones to fit and would they be type approved? On the subject of lighting...I'm not sure if this is standard or because I have the optional interior lighting upgrade but it looks great at night...even has small red lights shining down on the centre console...looks more like an aircraft flight deck!:bigeyes2:

Audi Nick
04-05-2008, 10:44 AM
I have gone for the light pack too. Out of interest, do the side storage bins illuminate along with the door handles etc?

Satch
04-05-2008, 02:45 PM
I have grown to love the halogen DRLs, I now feel that the LED ones are maybe a bit too bright. Halogens are a bit more conservative.

mkc
04-05-2008, 06:56 PM
I had a new A4 following me to work a few days ago and I must say that the standard running lights are actually fairly bright and I think that the LEDs are even brighter. Ive been in a friends A5 and in a short distance we got flashed a number of times due to the LEDs being on during the day. He has switched them off now and Ive actually seen a few A5s with them switched off.

I think they look great because they are different but I think Audi got it wrong with their marketing only allowing the S Line to have Xenons.

I would not want to fit them to a SE or Standard A4 as you would need by law the washer in the bumper to clean the Xenons.

Foringo
06-05-2008, 08:14 PM
I was told the same when I test drove an A5... that a lot of people are switching them off due to people flashing them (although I might have been told this as a sales ploy as I didn't want to consider an S-Line, so it wasn't an option:rolleyes: anyway!).....not sure if it's that much of a problem though. Are other drivers actually being dazzled or are they just being 'helpful', thinking that lights have inadvertently been left on? It will be interesting to see if it becomes an issue when they start becoming common place in a few months time or will they just be ignored?

The halogen running lights are really quite bright but to date I haven't noticed any adverse reactions from other drivers, so I don't think it's causing any dazzle. Just a shame that Audi couldn't come up with this combined with the active xenons..still I'll have to wait for the face lift version.

Audi Nick.....No lighting in the door pockets to my knowledge ...although I do keep my wind-up torch there:D

merlyn55
11-05-2008, 10:22 PM
I have gone for the light pack too. Out of interest, do the side storage bins illuminate along with the door handles
etc?

I dont think Audi have incorporated the illuminated door handles like BMW and Lexus have?

Audi Nick
12-05-2008, 07:02 AM
The illuminated door handles are there as they are with my current A6. On the A8 you get illumination of the door bins, which is a fantastic touch.

Its a pity they have not included this with the A4, but then you have to have some distinct touches to the A8 or no one would buy it.

luk2011
19-04-2009, 03:07 PM
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=66206

Just look this threead.

tlionhart
19-04-2009, 05:46 PM
i wouldn't say they are blinding, but think people think that you have 'chaved' the car up. Also having them on in bright sunlight. Personally i like them.

macmillions
19-04-2009, 06:51 PM
I like them, and personally, if I were to buy an Audi, I would want the LED DRL's, but I do actually find them a little dazzling, especially during the dawn/dusk times where the normal dipped lights aren't switched on.