PDA

View Full Version : CONCERT CD CHANGER TO MP3 CONNECTOR

andysuth
26-12-2006, 01:12 AM
Hi,

Having read through the concert cassette player manual I see there is facility on it to have a CD multichanger in the boot ("Only use a Audi Dealer to retrofit , blah blah blah").

Currently I run a MP3 (generic) though the Cassette player with a cassette converter.

Having had my last car broken into on the off chance that me leaving a converter cassette in the player means I left a iPod in the car (no chance! they just knackered my old car for no reason and got nothing!), I am keen to stop having to pull in out every night and hide it.

I want to run a MP3 Player though the currently unused CD audio-in line of the concert.

Does anyone have any wiring diagrams for the ports at the back of the Concert Radio?

Has anyone done this before?

Obviously I'd be happy to share my experience in this manic-cause once I have completed it.

(foot note: yes I know I'll have to have independent power and control for the MP3 player, but it's just so I don't have to go through the tape player for my MP3 player!)

Cheers,

-Andy

RickT
26-12-2006, 01:21 AM
depending which model of need unit you have

however theres loads of these on ebay normally..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-Audi-radio-MP3-and-ipod-auxiliary-interface_W0QQitemZ290065107539QQihZ019QQcategoryZ 1498QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphot ohosting

I have seen this going for about £35 normally... i think with XMAS and stuff, people have holded back listing/selling things...

You connect it to the headunit and then thread though to the glove box.. then you can control the IPOD from the head unit.

Cheers

RicKT

andysuth
26-12-2006, 02:17 PM
depending which model of need unit you have

however theres loads of these on ebay normally..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-Audi-radio-MP3-and-ipod-auxiliary-interface_W0QQitemZ290065107539QQihZ019QQcategoryZ 1498QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphot ohosting

I have seen this going for about £35 normally... i think with XMAS and stuff, people have holded back listing/selling things...

You connect it to the headunit and then thread though to the glove box.. then you can control the IPOD from the head unit.

Cheers

RicKT

Not sure this would actually control the iPod, there's only one jack plug at the end of it, but mine's not an iPod anyway, I object to Apple's attitude of "You buy hardware from us, now you can only buy songs online from us".

When I buy a dvd player, I don't have to go back to the same shop to buy DVDs.

Who do apple think they are? A Car manufacturer? ;P

I digress. Cheers for the info.

-Andy.

RickT
27-12-2006, 12:58 AM
well to be honest im not intrested in any thing to do with Apple...MAC...

So if toy dont have a IPOD what MP3 player have you got?? is it a main brando or just a unbranded Mp3 player?? what output sources are on there??

http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product.asp?product=21262

RicKT

andysuth
27-12-2006, 01:25 AM
That would be a Sony Walkman (ok, let's not get into the whole discussion as to whether Sony are any better than the 1/3 gates-owned Apple), but it's a nice little player, and it takes a mini-USB for uploading/charging (soon to be a seperate project: USB sockets for power where the "Car Phone" connectors are at base of front arm rest).

I don't think I can play through the USB port, unless used as a datastick for a computer, so I'd just be looking for a 3.5mm stereo jack plug anyway.

Surely the CD multichanger sent audio to the stereo, not the raw digital data for the "Concert" to decode and play????

If it were just raw data from CD, then the Concert would have one hell of a lot of redundant features for the cars without the CD multichanger.

I will delve deeper. Keep you informed.

-AS

andysuth
27-12-2006, 01:29 AM
Reason I hope this to be the case is if "Concert" was acting as just an amplifier, then all I would need is a lead rather than a fancy electronic gizmo!

RickT
27-12-2006, 01:38 AM
yeah if its going through a JACK plug you will just get the sound only.....

not 100% sure on the auto changer question,m however i would guess its audio into the head unit from the changer, reason i think this is the auto changer will read the CD, convert, then output the source like anyother CD related device/

Cheers

RickT

andysuth
27-12-2006, 01:42 AM
So, all I've got to do is pray that when I replace those bulbs in the heater fan control panel, I can get a good view of the connectors that have been clearly and methodically labelled by the thoughtful manufacturers.

Either that or take the stereo unit apart!!!

-AS

RickT
27-12-2006, 01:44 AM
yeah lets us know how you get one as one of my mates was asking about this the other week...

to be honest as said above im not really fussed about all the "Personnel MP3" players business as i only tend to listen to music in the car or at home.... every CD in my car is a "Back up/copy" of all the ones i have indoors anyway as i dont like to leave any oringals in the car just in case...

However one thing i would like for the car would be a 6 disk DVD MP3 auto changer... then i could get everything onto a few DVD's in MP3... which is a good thing... however i think it would be a real hassle searching for that one album you want to listen to compare to just getting the CD and putting it on.... you know what i mean??

Cheers

RickT

RickT
27-12-2006, 01:51 AM
the auto changer just plugs into the back on the headunit via a standard Auto changer plug.. so all you need is one of then plugs to jack i guess... then you can wire it out of the back and i via the passenger side or if you want to be clever up through the ash tray... dunno about cutting holes tho!!!!

one other idea is a FM Transmitter...

Basicly you conect it to your MP3 plater and then select the FM radio station.. tune your radio in to that Freq and then press play! the device sends the sound and your headunit picks the signal up and there you go!! its worth a go as there really cheap now!! i dunno what the quatitly will be like... however it will be better than the JACK lead as i thought that would be MONO???

see below link!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FM-TRANSMITTER-ADAPTOR-USE-MP3-CD-PLAYER-IN-YOUR-CAR_W0QQitemZ220063793387QQihZ012QQcategoryZ73839Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

Cheers

RickT

RickT
27-12-2006, 01:58 AM
also... the ones which use the Cig ligher are better as you dont need batteries...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/iTrip-FM-Transmitter-and-PowerPod-for-iPod-Mini-BONUS_W0QQitemZ120068423820QQihZ002QQcategoryZ5835 0QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Cheers

RickT

andysuth
27-12-2006, 02:12 AM
I have a real problem with the whole fm transmitter thing, extra hardware and all that. The problem is going to be looking into which connections on the multi-connector are left and right channels.

I suppose they could be done through looking into which ones never output any signal (such as control lines for disc change/track forward/reverse etc) but would also get some feedback to say there is something there as currently mine won't let me select a CD setting, only Radio/Tape/digitaltraffic recorder etc.

-AS

RickT
27-12-2006, 05:24 PM
I think your best off just having a look around and see what kits are availbe for your model of Mp3 player, best place ebay to start with..

Let us know how you get on,

Cheers

RickT