PDA

View Full Version : DVD Sat Nav (RNS-E) Voice commands not working

toff
02-05-2008, 06:52 PM
Hi,

I was playing around with my RNS-E voice control last night. I can get the phone functions to work perfectly ("Dial name", "Dial number" etc).

In the instruction manual (printed late 2005) I noticed that you can issue commands such as "Radio" "Directory" "Navigation" to jump to the different section; you can then say things like "Next Station", "Navigate To" etc.

Unfortunately when I try to issue these voice commands, it just says "Pardon?"
I spoke very clearly when testing it, so I can only assume some functionality is missing.

I asked the dealership if buying the 2008 RNS-E disc (£210!) would activate these functions and they said I'd need a module (i.e. hardware) to get it working!

Does anybody have any more info on this? The dealership seemed cluless!

Cheers,
Al.

PS: Just in case it has a bearing; I have the new-style multi-function steering wheel.

Nigelo
02-05-2008, 08:52 PM
Not sure if this will help but I have heard that Voice Rec systems sometimes need training to adapt to your (in the generic sense of course) voice pattern. Is there any entry point through "Setup" that looks like this and have you tried to use it?

toff
02-05-2008, 09:11 PM
Thanks for your reply.

The telephone system works straight away (no voice training), so I don't think the rest of the system needs training.

I will have a look under setup though, thanks for your suggestion.

Al.

kite
03-05-2008, 10:23 PM
Seems like you don't have SDS= speech dialouge system !
Have a read up over on NAVPLUS.US

thecount
03-05-2008, 10:58 PM
Hi, I have just purchased an A4 Avant 05 which has this I think and has a telephone adapter in the arm rest. Does anyone know if you can buy adapter for it for any phone? where can I look?

toff
04-05-2008, 07:40 PM
Hi, I have just purchased an A4 Avant 05 which has this I think and has a telephone adapter in the arm rest. Does anyone know if you can buy adapter for it for any phone? where can I look?

What phone do you have?

I believe the connector Audi put in the armrest is a universal fitting for phone cradles, but I wouldn't know where else to buy one apart from Audi.

All I know is that if you have a popular phone (.i.e Nokia 6300 etc) then you can probably get a compatible cradle, if you have a Blackberry etc, you'll probably find it's not available.

Al.

toff
04-05-2008, 07:46 PM
Seems like you don't have SDS= speech dialouge system !
Have a read up over on NAVPLUS.US

When I press the voice command button on my steering wheel and say "Help" a menu comes up (and is also spoken out) saying "SDS Help Menu"..

So I'm certain I have some form of SDS present and functioning on my RNS-E. I just can't understand why the other commands (relating to the Radio, Nav etc) won't work.

I will have a read on NAVPLUS.US as suggested (thanks) and I'll report back.

Al.

Issac Hunt
06-05-2008, 09:06 PM
Above posters are correct, you dont have SDS. Voice command of the TEL system is completely seperate from SDS control of the rest of the system.

toff
06-05-2008, 09:48 PM
Above posters are correct, you dont have SDS. Voice command of the TEL system is completely seperate from SDS control of the rest of the system.

Thanks.

But as far as I understand it, I don't need any extra hardware to get SDS working, it's all software config (via an update CD) right ?

Oh... and a re-wire of the mic's and re-coding to put the RNS-E in charge of voice control rather than TEL ?

Thanks
Al.

Issac Hunt
06-05-2008, 09:50 PM
Thanks.

But as far as I understand it, I don't need any extra hardware to get SDS working, it's all software config (via an update CD) right ?

Oh... and a re-wire of the mic's and re-coding to put the RNS-E in charge of voice control rather than TEL ?

Thanks
Al.

Correct, but if you ever update the RNS-E software version then that will remove the SDS hack and you will need to re-apply it again.

toff
06-05-2008, 09:57 PM
Correct, but if you ever update the RNS-E software version then that will remove the SDS hack and you will need to re-apply it again.

I can't seem to find any straight-forward pin-out diagrams for the Mic re-wire. Do you happen to know where I can find one?

I connect my phone via the bluetooth prep - does this change how I should re-wire the Mic's?

I have a registered version of Vag Com, but I'm not the most competent user - should I avoid re-coding (i.e. is it risky?)

Cheers,
Al.

Issac Hunt
06-05-2008, 10:18 PM
I can't seem to find any straight-forward pin-out diagrams for the Mic re-wire. Do you happen to know where I can find one?

I connect my phone via the bluetooth prep - does this change how I should re-wire the Mic's?

I have a registered version of Vag Com, but I'm not the most competent user - should I avoid re-coding (i.e. is it risky?)

Cheers,
Al.

1. No I dont but just look at the label on the RNS-E, The mic in and out plugs are clearly marked on the label.

2. No

3. Before you re-code ANYTHING make a note of the original coding and then if it goes wrong/doesnt work you can get back to where you started from!