PDA

View Full Version : advice

steve fox
02-05-2008, 05:55 PM
:1zhelp:hello all,
I am currently thinking of buying a 1989 VW LT45 2.5turbo diesel van privatly.
I was wondering firstly are they good reliable vans and although it has a millage of 25000 miles can I expect much more years out of it.The seller has sayed it's a totally good runner but has one problem.it takes about 20turns of the engine before it starts and this problem occurs eveven after it's run for a long journey.It doesnt affect the engine whilst runnining only during starting.Does anybody know what it could be and if theres an easy way of rectifiying it.
If anyone could possibly reply asap I would be most greatfull as I'm not sure how long the seller is going to hold on to it for me,
:beerchug:cheers and look forward to a reply Steve

rayl
05-05-2008, 12:14 PM
Hi Steve, not sure if this info will help or make it worse for you to make your mind up.
In 1989 i brought two lt40's chassis cab's with 6cyl turbo diesel engine's both new one i had in oct the other in nov, on both of them i had large luton bodies built and fitted. Both did around 125,000 miles before they had to have new engine,s, oil pressure went and totaled the crank bearings, they were still returning 13 - 15 mpg every fill up. The one and only problem i had with the gearbox's was second gear crunched a bit when first used but was fine after warmed up, axle's never gave a problem.
They were serviced when due and had extra oil and filter changes in between service's. Both were used very hard for the work they were on and various drivers. They did developed hard starting which turned out to be glow plugs (changed all six)personally I thought the clutch was a bit under par but they were carrying large box bodies same with the front brakes which they went through quite a few plus the disc's. I would say that if these vehicle's were just the panel vans they most likely would have gone on to do 250,000 plus miles before attention was needed, they are strong vans and work horses but as said i used mine to its limit every day. Let me know if there's anything else i may be able to tell you