PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy it?

hezzie
25-12-2006, 12:30 PM
Morning all and merry Christmas, I've just registered as I'm hoping to join the merry band of audi owners as I've heard they are such good cars, (my citroen xantia has broken down 4 times in 11 months).

I'm going to look at a silver 1993 Audi 80 Tdi SE Est (7 Months test on it) on wednesday, it has a thatcham alarm and a cd player, the chap seems convinced I'll buy it when I see it as it's been well looked after.

All seemed good until I phoned him back and asked "oh, incidentally what mileage is on it?" and was horrified to find out it's got 212k on it, I dismissed it straight away, but my mother who has had loads of audis said one will go round the clock and a friend who knows a fair bit about cars says I shouldn't worry about this mileage, however I'm very sceptical.

The car is priced at £650, can anyone advise me on this please.

Many Thanks,

Wayne.

hezzie
26-12-2006, 07:45 PM
Hi Wayne and merry xmas,:beerchug:

Ok the car, any car with any mileage can go wrong, you could by a motor of any make with lets say 50k on the clock for £6,500 and it could be a whole heap of problems, ok its got 200k but think about it , in order to have that kind of mileage means its spent more time on the road than in a workshop if you get my drift, 200k is a lot of mileage no matter what the car is, but if it werent dependable a doubt it would of covered half that much,
If it were me and a liked & was happy with what i see and for the sum £650 which lets be fair isnt exactly a lot of cash, I buy it.
Andy

Cheers Andy, I'll check it out Wednesday :fing02:

jp_paul
04-01-2007, 10:49 AM
That seems expensive to me my friend. I'd offer £300-350 if its got MOT and not a penny more. Old cars with high mileage are pretty worthless and ten a penny!

m4xmw
04-01-2007, 03:16 PM
I`ll always buy a vehicle on condition over anything else.
By that I mean how it looks and how extensive the service history, repair bills are.
As has been said @200k it can sometimes have many many new parts.
The problem is if its clonking over bumps, excessivley smoking, very tired inside etc.
If its none of those, go for it I say.
PS cambelt would be a priority unless you can be certain when it was done last.
I`m speaking from experiences of a 1990 90 2.3e with 144k.
Let everyone know how you`ve got on!

Mark