PDA

View Full Version : No Aircon following Timing belt change?

chrispassat
02-05-2008, 08:34 AM
Can anyone advise? Had timing belt, tensioner and water pump replaced. Immediately after Climatronic display began flashing on start up. VAG COM indicated pressure switch so system regassed but fault still persists (ie. no aircon & flashing display on start up).

Could anything have been nudged/knocked/left off to cause this during the belt replacement?

1998 TDi Sport (182 000 miles)

adamss24
02-05-2008, 09:09 AM
I would check if they plugged in the conector for the high pressure switch located behind rear bumper on driver side, also check for damage on the compressor clutch slip sensor( single wire ending with green conector).

Big G
02-05-2008, 10:38 AM
i had the same problem after my belt change. on closer inspection on the left hand side of the engine bay at the very bottom a green electrical connector had been left unplugged and this sorted the whole problem out.

caldirun
02-05-2008, 05:42 PM
I would check if they plugged in the conector for the high pressure switch located behind rear bumper on driver side, also check for damage on the compressor clutch slip sensor( single wire ending with green conector).
I thought the switch was behind the front bumper, and the wire is the 12V electromagnetic clutch supply, grounded on the compressor body.
I had no air con cooling and found the wire disconnected in front of the power steering reservior, but the display did not flash and vag com reported no faults.

kje
02-05-2008, 09:24 PM
i had the same problem after my belt change. on closer inspection on the left hand side of the engine bay at the very bottom a green electrical connector had been left unplugged and this sorted the whole problem out.

Is that the 'Outside air temperature' sensor input? It's unplugged to move the lock carrier to the 'service position' for a belt change. Perhaps the Climatronic needs this input to work?

chrispassat
03-05-2008, 02:15 AM
Thanks for all your comments guys - I'll try to look for a stray connector ( hopefully without having to remove the front bumper - I'd already lifted up the Power steering reservoir cowl (black cover) & found all the connectors under it to be in place ( if somewhat dusty).

Incidentally all the temp readings in the car appear to be as before so at least those wires seem still connected.

chrispassat
04-05-2008, 12:04 AM
Looks like the green connector low down on the front driver's side is secure. Couldn't find any loose wiring - a green/black wire disappears behind the compressor pulley wheel but it also seems securely fixed.

Haven't yet done continuity check ( no meter ) of the wire though. Are there any fuses I need to check? If not then, looks like its going back to the garage to solve ( bumper off etc).

Thanks again for you help guys will let you know the outcome.

chrispassat
17-05-2008, 11:15 AM
Hi guys looks like your pressure switch comments were right - they found the fault to be 'unsecured connector at the back(?)' they said.

Should have known Sudden improvement in MPG=knackered aircon!

4 trips to the garage in total but at least they threw in the re-gass free. Many Thanks for your help.

Incidentally they 'let go' the young lad who did the work on my car ( now I'll just worry about whether he did the rest of the cambelt/tensioner job right!).

Thanks again.