PDA

View Full Version : real world economy

shab_k
02-05-2008, 03:52 AM
have just ordered a q7 which i have been told will take 18-22 weeks for delivery. pretty long time but never the less im sure it will be worth the wait.

a quick question for every1 with a q7.
what sort of mpg are you achieving around town and on the motorway.
thank you

Qcut
06-05-2008, 12:44 PM
After 14 months or so of ownership I average around 26-28 mpg with a slight A-road bias. It's in line with the manufacturer's figures but it still disappoints - and hurts the pocket at £1.20 a litre :(

dansansome
06-05-2008, 01:42 PM
not bad for such a beast of a machine though surely?

im looking at a 1.8t a4 cab which achieves about the same mpg, but probably not the performance of your 3.0 tdi lump!

adamss24
06-05-2008, 03:24 PM
You are a tight a** innit ?! I just rebuilt my a4 2.5 tdi quattro's engine wich i matted a 3.0L block to AKE 2.5 tdi heads and i barelly muster 23-27 Mpg...but i am happy all the time ! You should see the look on sports car drivers when they seeing me shooting past them, they cannot believe a TDI just overtook them ! You should be very happy with that mpg on a nearly 3 tonne offroader... mine is little over 1.5 tonne !

Qcut
06-05-2008, 04:04 PM
I was happy to tolerate it when I bought the 3 tonne lump as you call it. But then it was 95p a litre. Now it costs almost £120 to fill the tank. If prices hit the predicted £1.50 by the end of the year, it gets painful. This is a family car as well not a sports car to pose in at weekends! :biglaugh: GB and his cronies are hitting 4x4s owners hard.

dansansome
06-05-2008, 04:14 PM
by "lump" i was referring to the engine, it wasnt a reference to the car itself.

:)

Quacker
06-05-2008, 05:49 PM
I get about 27mpg average with lows of 25 and highs of above 30 possible. While this is less than I achieved with the X5, Range Rover and ML270 it has to be looked at in the context of far superior performance and refinement. :beerchug:
Also, back in the 1970's, my first car was a Ford Fiesta 1300S which never managed a high of 30mpg while its performance is now surpassed by small diesel cars that average over 60mpg.

Overall I can't complain about the Q7 in any way except for its unacceptable appetite for rubber. The engine is superb [so far and touching wood] while its gearbox is very good, if not up there with the Mercedes. I love its looks and its interior, even if the third row is far too cramped, but I don't go back there :p

The lack of low range and hill-descent control that works is a drawback but I knew about those before I bought it and don't need them in this mainly road car.

Luckily I hardly ever fill the tank at a filling station so never notice how much it costs to fill the tank. What I do really appreciate is the near 600 miles that I can travel between refilling.

shab_k
07-05-2008, 02:36 AM
i supose its not the economy of the vehicle been bad its just the price of diesel been ridicolous. wel never the less i have already placed an order for the q7 with a lead time of 18-22 weeks which was disapointing but i supose it will be worth the wait. the figures on the 3.0 d m sport x5 arent too bad. 34mpg combined.

Qcut
07-05-2008, 09:35 AM
In pure economy terms there isn't much to choose from in this sector. The new X5 with Efficient Drive (or whatever naff name they give it) and the XC90 probably fair the best. The RRSport is pretty awful, the Q7 about average. It is true that cost of ownership is now more a result of the fuel market and the Gov's road tax policy. Only snipe with Audi is the tyre wear problem which has cost me £800+ so far. Not sure I'd buy another 4x4 now tbh.

Quacker
07-05-2008, 05:49 PM
In pure economy terms there isn't much to choose from in this sector. The new X5 with Efficient Drive (or whatever naff name they give it) and the XC90 probably fair the best. The RRSport is pretty awful, the Q7 about average. It is true that cost of ownership is now more a result of the fuel market and the Gov's road tax policy. Only snipe with Audi is the tyre wear problem which has cost me £800+ so far. Not sure I'd buy another 4x4 now tbh.

Don't swallow the line that 'they all do that Sir'. They don't. Range Rover does 35000 to 40,000 miles on a set of tyres. The Q7 does just over 10,000 on average. This costs me 6ppm. The diesel, assuming 27mpg, costs just over 20ppm for a total of 26ppm.

If it was a Range Rover the diesel would cost just over 18ppm and the tyres just over 1.7ppm for a total of say 20ppm approx.

6ppm doesn't sound like much in isolation but at 15,000 miles per year it costs £900 more to run the Q7. At 25,000 miles per annum then the cost escalates to £1500 difference. Over a lifetime of 150,000 miles the Audi costs, at todays prices, about £9000 more to run than the Range Rover, largely down to tires alone. Four sets would see the Range Rover out but the Audi would need about fourteen sets at the rate mine wear over the same 150,000 miles. :aargh4:

Its not just the cost, I get tax relief and the VAT back on the tyres, but mostly the time wasted that bugs me.

ticklishbag
27-05-2008, 10:39 PM
have just ordered a q7 which i have been told will take 18-22 weeks for delivery. pretty long time but never the less im sure it will be worth the wait.

a quick question for every1 with a q7.
what sort of mpg are you achieving around town and on the motorway.
thank you

Just a quick one on the waiting time for new Q7, i was in my local audi dealer last week when i ask for the time scale on a new Q7, i was told that if i order smaller wheels for it i would get it alot quicker than if i selected the bigger set.

So i take it from that statement from the sales man, that the wheel size has a huge decision on the time scale.:(

shab_k
30-05-2008, 11:38 PM
i ordered the s line pack with the 20" wheels.

shab_k
28-09-2008, 04:52 PM
how did you manage to do that mate

Sam
29-09-2008, 10:35 AM
PM Sent about it!!

Please post the info on the thread.

Sam
29-09-2008, 12:41 PM
Our?

Sam
29-09-2008, 02:29 PM
yes its in the title ! i can't say as you will ban me for advertizing ! have a look at the site.

Perfect.

You know what you are doing is wrong, yet you're still doing it.

If you wish to advertise contact Stuart.

If you don't please stop promoting yourself and asking our members to PM you for more information.

info@weldingcut
13-05-2009, 10:00 AM
I waited almost 6 months for my 4.2 TDI and as I mentioned on a previous thread, I had mine before the dealer had their demonstrator (June 2007). I have to say that I get around 500 - 600miles on a tank motorway driving and 400 - 420 on other roads. (Although if I am a bit heavy with my right foot that can half but what a sound).

Tyres last between 8 & 10K, dealership excellent.

The V8 Engine is superb.

I had an X5 previously and the difference in ride quality is immense. the X5 felt as heavy as it looked, the Q7 is heavier but drives almost like a saloon car.

Overall thoroughly happy with the Audi, I would love to tour Europe in it unfortunatley, wife prefers Easyjet!.

Info

shab_k
18-05-2009, 06:52 PM
took mine from nottingham to amsterdam, paris, brussels and calais. car was amazing and trouble free

info@weldingcut
19-05-2009, 09:17 AM
Thanks Shab_k for cheering me up on this wet miserable day!!!

shab_k
20-05-2009, 03:27 PM
i would convince your wifey to take the q7 instead. ive been abroad a few times on easyjet but theres no doubt id use the q7 instead. more fun and makes life easier with transportation

info@weldingcut
20-05-2009, 03:38 PM
More fun!! Maybe, but with diesel the price it is, I would have a bit of a problem convincing wifey of the advantages (Shes not a great traveller)

shab_k
21-05-2009, 02:57 PM
we covered 1300 miles travelling mostly at 80ish mph and getting upto a three figure speed at some points and went through 2 nd a half tanks.

moochofun
25-05-2009, 12:47 AM
I've had my 3.0 derv Q7 since the end of January this year and have covered just over 6000 miles in it. I average 26mpg on the usual mix of town and A road driving and see averages of 28-30 cruising at 77mph via gps (seems the perfect speed to cruise through the speed camera's at :D). The mpg on start up is horrific and seems to average somewhere in the teens until the car is up to temperature. The tyres seem to be a big topic on here and although the outer edges are wearing faster, the tyres are still in pretty good shape. See how they go though...

As terms of overall value, I can't complain really - so far anyway, might change my mind come trade in time. Its the first time I've bought car at this sort of price level - well financed it so perhaps not the same? I got the finance rate of a lifetime though; 1% and managed to get £9k off of the £49k rrp price. With my trade in (was low at the time, as this was during the destruction of 2nd hand values) my finance was based on £31k and a monthly payment of £450. To put this deal into perspective, a mate has just bought an 06 plate Touareg 3.0 derv. After considering his trade in value, his finance was based on £20k - his monthly payment is the same as mine. They are both the same term - 4yrs and are similar specc'd cars (mine is higher naturally being an Audi ;)). I must admit to feeling rather smug :approve: about the whole deal as he was considering the same q7 deal at the same time as me.

Out of interest, what sort of trade in values have you been getting? Although I love the q7, i was thinking of downsizing and getting two cars instead next time, an A6 estate and some form of small sporty car... Not be for a couple of years though I think.

Any prospective purchasers out there - buy one, I don't think you'd be disapointed - terrific motor.:biglaugh:

shab_k
26-05-2009, 02:39 AM
q7s are a fantastic all rounder imo. 7 seats, space of a van when needed, looks and resonable running costs. ive had mine for 10 months and its been great. thinking of upgrading to the my10 when it comes out.