PDA

View Full Version : STOP warning - could it be immobiliser fault ?

headache56
01-05-2008, 06:39 PM
About once a fortnight, my PASSAT engine will not start and I can hear that it is not firing and I see an error message "STOP" in the rectangular panel between the speedo and the rev counter dials. No other warning message appears but if I leave the car for 5-10 minutes then try again, the engine starts perfectly.

My el cgheapeo / generic fault code reader shows that the cylinders no 1, 2, 3 & 4 did not fire (well I knew that anyway). What does STOP on its own indicate and could it be a problem with the immobiliser ?

Any steer would be much appreciated.

Help, cheers.

caldirun
01-05-2008, 08:00 PM
About once a fortnight, my PASSAT engine will not start and I can hear that it is not firing and I see an error message "STOP" in the rectangular panel between the speedo and the rev counter dials. No other warning message appears but if I leave the car for 5-10 minutes then try again, the engine starts perfectly.

My el cgheapeo / generic fault code reader shows that the cylinders no 1, 2, 3 & 4 did not fire (well I knew that anyway). What does STOP on its own indicate and could it be a problem with the immobiliser ?

Any steer would be much appreciated.

Help, cheers.

If its the immobiliser the engine turns over and fires but will not run and the key symbol flashes, plus a bleep.