PDA

View Full Version : A4 1.8 Starting Problems

cmartin
24-12-2006, 12:13 PM
Hi I’m new to the forum so go easy!

I am having starting problems with an A4 1.8 non turbo. It is an intermittent fault where by the car will start rev to around 2,000 and then die.

I am guessing that it could be the idle control valve but someone mentioned to me that it could be the immobilizer? Had anyone got any experience with this problem and/or know how much an idle control valve might be.
Cheers

adamss24
24-12-2006, 12:33 PM
If its the immo you will see the light flashing in the dash and the car will stop 1 sec after it starts. I suspect the idlle stabilisation valve (check if it has one !) or a defective throttle body. Get the car scanned for fault codes as that will narrow the search a bit. Good luck.

cmartin
24-12-2006, 12:59 PM
Thanks for the responce, there is no light on the dash so I guess that rules out the immonilizer, we have just managed to get the diagnostics done and has come up with idle sys responce valve which I presume is the same as the stabilisation valve.

Is there an online parts catalog for audi's simular to www.realoem.com for BMW's?

cmartin
07-01-2007, 09:24 PM
If its the immo you will see the light flashing in the dash and the car will stop 1 sec after it starts. I suspect the idlle stabilisation valve (check if it has one !) or a defective throttle body. Get the car scanned for fault codes as that will narrow the search a bit. Good luck.

We have been able to do a little more work with this car, the alarm light is activating, and the diagnostics has come up with

17978 Control Module Locked

In the code book, it is listing an immobiliser error posibly a broken key, does anyone have any experience of this? Is it posble to permanently disable the alarm and Immobiliser?