PDA

View Full Version : OPTICS GRILLE? and de-chrome windows.

thecount
01-05-2008, 02:01 PM
Hi, I've been looking into purchasing an A4 Avant, and whilst researching, I noticed one with OPTICS GRILLE? and de-chrome windows?

Just wondering if this is common practice? I love the chrome grill, do don't you? plus the side chrome from the windows to be removed could look as cheapening it?

strange? or just personal preference?

HouseUK
02-05-2008, 08:44 AM
It depends on the colour of the car.

I Drive a Misano red S-line Special Edition and it has all the Optics pack stuff and i think the Black looks better than the cromo on a red car. On other colours I think the chrome looks better.

Hardest one to pick for me would have been if it had been a black car, All black looks good but so does the chromo highlights.

thecount
02-05-2008, 08:47 AM
so is the de chroming of the windows normal then? and can you reinstate them easily?

toff
02-05-2008, 07:01 PM
I think it'll be an expensive process de-chroming (a rough guess £600 - £800) for all the non-chrome trim parts!

I doubt you can just take-off the chrome parts and leave it like that.. you'll need to buy the equivelant non-chrome parts. I could be mistaken about that & the price though!

Just a bit of trivia for you:

On the early 5 series BMW's you actually had to pay more if you wanted them without chrome window / windscreen sills! I guess it was cheaper to produce stuff in crome than in plastic / rubber back then!

Al.

elPaulio
02-05-2008, 08:56 PM
Looking online, apparantly the Black "Non-Chromed" parts are the S-Line Special Edition!

So, I agree, you would be looking at a lot of money to buy the non-chromed parts!

Paul

thecount
03-05-2008, 11:01 PM
Ok, I bought it yesterday and I am very pleased with it. Like you say, it looks like it hasn't been removed and that in fact its a special edition. The dealer actually said it might be. and assured me the grill is definitely an extra. looks very nice actually, now that I have been admiring it from my front door (how sad)

Roach
04-05-2008, 02:14 PM
It was because of this option that I went for the s-line special edition in Phantom Black. I think it looks far better than the chrome.