PDA

View Full Version : Stereo unit upgrade ideas for a A4 (B5 99.5)

jb1999
01-05-2008, 01:05 PM
Just discovered this forum, hopefully a better place so will try re-posting this:

I'm thinking of upgrading the stereo unit in my A4 99.5 (B5). It currently has the single DIN concert stereo and an auto-changer unit in the boot (image on left) and have started looking into options for getting a sat-nav unit.

Any one know what the best options are for this model? And would anything other than an Audi unit still work with the DIS on the dash?

A few options I found:

- a built-in unit like the other two images. Found several options like this (see image on right), including retro-fitting Audi units, all requiring a double-DIN centre dash unit. There's som great guides to doing it out there. Could need some time sourcing parts, re-working of the dash and would likely be the most expensive option but would be fun to do (hopefully!?) and would leave a good factory fitted look.

- stumbled over a single DIN unit with a smaller display - JVC KD NX 5000. satnav, mp3 unit, dvd. Looks good IMO, reasonable reviews, selling for around 630 quid.

- leave the stereo as it is and get simple tom-tom type unit mounted on the dashboard... bit boring, but given the age of the car...

Any other suggestions, thoughts?
Thanks in advance! :beerchug:

(previously posted in Audi A4 - B5 Forum - 1995 - 2002 section http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=35718

Stellathomas
02-01-2009, 07:33 AM
Extreme makeover gone wrong. That aftermarket unit is so ugly compared to the nice stock radio. I wonder what the effect on the LCD display will be too, its probably useless now. Now, I'm no audiophile but that install just looks out of place. So the interior is made ugly so you can get a nice sub going, shake neighbouring cars, etc for a couple of years and get bored and realise you've beeped your car up pretty badly.
--------------
Stellathomas

Business Opportunities (http://www.bizoppjunction.com)

paul b
02-01-2009, 04:43 PM
I would be horrified if that was mine. Is it the picture, or is there a big gap between the LCD display and the CC unit?

I'd be taking it all off and fitting a double-din surround and making it look how it should, using genuine parts.