PDA

View Full Version : low oil

nai
23-12-2006, 11:50 PM
will low oil cause noises coming from engine? i have a noise coming only on start up not sure if its from cam chains or gearbox

thanks

RickT
24-12-2006, 12:47 AM
low oil wont make a differance.. however.. how low?? is the Min OIL light on??

Cheers

RickT

nai
24-12-2006, 01:07 AM
no oil light is not on. i have had a good look and listen and seems to be coming from gearbox like someone is jimgling keys. only once i start the car

could it be chains in the gearbox??

adamss24
24-12-2006, 11:48 AM
Is it a CVT automatic gearbox(tiptronic/) ? These gearboxes have some belts made of steel that are a bit noisier than average audi car. Low oil in the engine is not a big issue but RUNNING for too long on it and the quality of oil may effect the condition of engine.

nai
24-12-2006, 11:51 AM
yeh it is a tiptronic. the noise only happens when you start the car and engage the gears then its ok, if i had the stereo on i would not even notice it to be honest..maybe me being paranoid again. only had the car few weeks so still getting used to it.

adamss24
24-12-2006, 11:59 AM
Get used to it as there is nothing wrong with it. The belts stretch and its only audible just on start-up when the oil is thicher and not enough to absorb the mettalic noise. When the oil pressure increase there wont be no unusual loud noises. The audi CVT gearbox is theone of the quietest on the market and compared with conventional automatic gearboxes(with a torque converter) verry noisy, especially at tick-over when cold.

nai
24-12-2006, 12:06 PM
yeh guess your right ill keep an ear out but not gona think about it. just drive it and see what happens

thanks for all the replys

merry christmas to you all

nai