PDA

View Full Version : Installing Sat Nav afterwards

thecount
30-04-2008, 11:05 PM
I'm looking to purchase a 2006 A4 Avant that does not have sat nav. I'm guessing I could find one on ebay?

so far, I have found a few options.:

Navigation PLUS including 6 multi CD? (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUDI-A4-NAVIGATION-PLUS-SAT-NAV-SYSTEM-6-MULTI-CD_W0QQitemZ260234406912QQihZ016QQcategoryZ156954Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

one with DVD? although I can't see where the DVD goes?
(http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Audi-A4-S4-RNS-Elatest-TKDVD-navigation-system-GPS-DVD_W0QQitemZ120254183514QQihZ002QQcategoryZ156954 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

and a company offering to install for £750 - bit expensive? or worth it?
(http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Audi-Navigation-A4-RNS-E-DVD-Navigation-FITTED_W0QQitemZ150215483573QQihZ005QQcategoryZ156 954QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZ p1638Q2em118Q2el1247)

Has anyone got any advice?

El Guapo
01-05-2008, 08:14 AM
I'm looking to purchase a 2006 A4 Avant that does not have sat nav. I'm guessing I could find one on ebay?

so far, I have found a few options.:

Navigation PLUS including 6 multi CD? (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUDI-A4-NAVIGATION-PLUS-SAT-NAV-SYSTEM-6-MULTI-CD_W0QQitemZ260234406912QQihZ016QQcategoryZ156954Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

one with DVD? although I can't see where the DVD goes?
(http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Audi-A4-S4-RNS-Elatest-TKDVD-navigation-system-GPS-DVD_W0QQitemZ120254183514QQihZ002QQcategoryZ156954 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

and a company offering to install for £750 - bit expensive? or worth it?
(http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Audi-Navigation-A4-RNS-E-DVD-Navigation-FITTED_W0QQitemZ150215483573QQihZ005QQcategoryZ156 954QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZ p1638Q2em118Q2el1247)

Has anyone got any advice?

I think the second one would be best for your car. I have this one in my A4. The DVD is shown in the picture with the front open. There are two memory stick slots and then the DVD slot is above it. The sat nav DVD sits in there. Hope this helps. I am not sure about costings but would speak to some local places to you and get some quotes.

:beerchug:

thecount
01-05-2008, 09:56 AM
thanks.

The second one is the same as the company who fits it for £750 below it?

Just looking at the air con controls though, something doesn't look right - it seems like you'd have to replace these bits or move them down?

steve1234
01-05-2008, 01:03 PM
Hello, Sounds like you have the single din standard stereo in the car at the monent (with a cubby hole at the bottom??). As the e-bay add for the fitted one says, this incurs extra cost as the air con controls need changing.

I'd go for the fitted option every time even if it is a couple of hundred more - definitely worth it!!!

(when I bought mine new in 05 the unit was £2000!!!! So £750 fitted sounds good to me!!)

thecount
01-05-2008, 01:24 PM
me too - many thanks!

gtuser
26-05-2008, 10:50 PM
Hi,
has anyone actually fitted the RNS-E/NaviPlus system? I saw an auction on ebay and was told that I'd just need to swap out my current unit (double din Symphony) using the new wiring harness and fit the gps receiver behind the instrument panel.

I was looking around some US sites and they mentioned change some system settings with a VAG control unit.

P.s. I have a 2005/55 A4

carlsarrou
05-06-2008, 10:21 AM
Hi,
has anyone actually fitted the RNS-E/NaviPlus system? I saw an auction on ebay and was told that I'd just need to swap out my current unit (double din Symphony) using the new wiring harness and fit the gps receiver behind the instrument panel.

I was looking around some US sites and they mentioned change some system settings with a VAG control unit.

P.s. I have a 2005/55 A4

the system setting i think they are referring to maybe the SDS (Speech Dialogue System) this can be used if you have a multi function steering wheel. You also need a microphone installed and then can operate your sat nav, Cd, Radio all via speech.

have a look here(below), i am considering getting my A4SLINETDI done at autotronics, they acitvate the vag com which displays on your dashboard, which not all installers do. Hazzy days fit allround the country which could be handy. Beware some ebay scammers who sell broken RNSE units, i'm sure some are genuine but have heard some bad stories.

http://www.vwcruise.com/6.html

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/autotronics1234_Navigation_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ 9225649QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Yorkshireman
05-06-2008, 11:57 AM
If your thinking of changing to a RNS-E unit from a concert stereo, you'll need the following:

1. RNS-E unit. Can be purchased of Ebay for around £400. Watch out for the part numbers. Those ending in C and D are UK versions and any other are foreign spec.
2. Double DIN cage. Again can be puchased from Ebay for around £30-50. This replaces your single DIN cage
3. Heator/Climate control unit. The one you have in your car at the moment will not fit due to the width of it. You can either purchase a double DIN climate control unit for around £50-£100 or trim your existing one to fit. I dont recommend trmming the existing one but it can be done if you've got time and patience.
4. GPS antenna. Again, can be purchased of Ebay for around £10-£15
5. Wiring adaptor to fit the rear of the RNS-E unit. Can be purchased for around £35 on Ebay. Theres someone in Poland selling these and i've purchased from him before.

You'll need to remove the centre console and glovebox to install this unit. You'll need to remove the single DIN cage and replace it with the double DIN cage. Installion is pretty simple but you'll need to convert the centre console to fit. Thats where it can be tricky if your not sure how to do it.

If you live near Yorkshire, you can drop by and i'll explain in detail how to fit the unit. I may also be able to supply a double DIN cage and heator control if your interested. Personally, i think £750 for installation is expensive. I

I could potentially supply you with ALL the parts you need and install these at a cost of £700. Thats everything, from beginning to end !.

a8 tech
05-06-2008, 12:15 PM
You will also need to code the nav and dash and phone prep if fitted.
It can be installed plug and play but correct vag com coding and adaptions are best pratcice to get the most of your purchase ie nav display on the dash mfi display.
I retro fit these for friends and its a good investment.
b6 may require a new centre dash cage for the rnse and heater controls.
Make sure you order the correct double din conversion as the wiring differs ie bose and k wire pins

gtuser
05-06-2008, 12:19 PM
Hi,
I have a B7 which already has a double din so don't need to messa bout with changing the centre console.
The only thing that I can't do is the vagcom coding. I don't have phone prep or a multi-function steering wheel so I think it is mainly for the Nav and DIS.
Where would be best to get this done? I'd assume that Audi wouldn't be cheap just to do the vagcom.

a8 tech
05-06-2008, 12:33 PM
You could plug and play this no problem.
Audi dealers wont retro fit unless its avalable on epack and has audi uk approval.
If you wish to set ths dash to display the nav then you need to alter the adaption channel.
If you wish to set the rnse with vag com then you may have to swap the k line communication wire so vag com can talk to rnse.

Use this site its the best site on the web http://www.navplus.us/forums/showthread.php?t=427
:approve::approve::approve::approve::approve::appr ove::approve::approve::approve::approve::approve:: approve::approve::approve::approve::approve::appro ve::approve::approve::approve::approve::approve::a pprove:

Issac Hunt
05-06-2008, 03:00 PM
[quote=Yorkshireman;189659]If your thinking of changing to a RNS-E unit from a concert stereo, you'll need the following:

1. RNS-E unit. Can be purchased of Ebay for around £400. Watch out for the part numbers. Those ending in C and D are UK versions and any other are foreign spec.
[quote]

Sorry but that is incorrect. Lots of units with a later suffix will be fine. Mine is a Q version. Latest part numbers are on navplus.

mattpat
25-06-2008, 05:29 PM
Hello Audi-geeks :)

I'd like to do something very similar to this, but with after-market sat-nav instead of Audi RNS-E so that I have harddisk and bluetooth stuff built in at no extra cost. I have an 05-plate A4 S-Line with single DIN concert radio, not sure on whether it's ISO or 12-pin Quad.

But what I'm confused on is part numbers - particularly the last letters! My local Audi garage couldn't supply me with enough info.

I think the double DIN cage seems to be 8E0 858 005 C/F. Is this the correct part for me? If so, what's the difference between C and F? Is the cage different between one for RNS-E and one for double-DIN symphony/concert radios?!

The heater controls for *double DIN* (222mm) appear to be 8E0 820 043 BL / BQ / BM / BR, while single DIN (232mm) are BJ / BN / BK / BP if I heard correctly.

If i'm not prepared to cut mine down as some suggest, I assume i'll need one of BL / BQ / BM / BR. But which is which?!!

Yorkshireman
25-06-2008, 06:08 PM
The double DIN cage for the RNS-E and the Symphony are the same. I'm unable to explain why there are two part numbers for the double DIN but i've had both and theres no visible difference.

The heator controls carry different numbers due to the additional facilities they may have. For etc, 8EO 820 043 BM is the climate control unit for a double DIN cage with heated seats. I wouldn't recommend cutting the unit down unless you're very skilled.

I've got a double DIN heator control (part number above) and a double DIN cage 8E0 858 005 F for sale if your interested.

mattpat
25-06-2008, 06:41 PM
Thanks for response!

I'm interested in the double DIN cage, but the heater control I need would be one without the heated seat buttons! I think it might be BL?

On another note, this is probably a fairly stupid question but I know nothing about RNS-E... is there any way of using a harddisk with RNS-E (and preferably keeping control of existing factory glovebox CD changer)?

Yorkshireman
25-06-2008, 06:52 PM
You can use the original CD Glovebox with your RNS-E. You need to make sure that the wiring adaptor you get supports a CD changer as not all these wiring adaptors support CD changers !

a8 tech
25-06-2008, 09:13 PM
Hello Audi-geeks :)

I'd like to do something very similar to this, but with after-market sat-nav instead of Audi RNS-E so that I have harddisk and bluetooth stuff built in at no extra cost. I have an 05-plate A4 S-Line with single DIN concert radio, not sure on whether it's ISO or 12-pin Quad.

But what I'm confused on is part numbers - particularly the last letters! My local Audi garage couldn't supply me with enough info.

I think the double DIN cage seems to be 8E0 858 005 C/F. Is this the correct part for me? If so, what's the difference between C and F? Is the cage different between one for RNS-E and one for double-DIN symphony/concert radios?!

The heater controls for *double DIN* (222mm) appear to be 8E0 820 043 BL / BQ / BM / BR, while single DIN (232mm) are BJ / BN / BK / BP if I heard correctly.

If i'm not prepared to cut mine down as some suggest, I assume i'll need one of BL / BQ / BM / BR. But which is which?!!try this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Audi-A4-Climate-with-double-din-cage-BRAND-NEW_W0QQitemZ160254508563QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item1 60254508563&_trkparms=72%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C65%3A12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Issac Hunt
26-06-2008, 12:08 PM
is there any way of using a harddisk with RNS-E (and preferably keeping control of existing factory glovebox CD changer)?

Yes, I have a 320GB one in mine. Plays MP3's and videos.

Terry S
28-10-2008, 06:54 PM
Hi, how did you get on with this, did you ever get your aftermarket SAT Nav fitted?

Flakmunky
28-10-2008, 08:54 PM
For anyone who doesn't know about the RNS-E:

RNS-E in to a B7 is pretty much plug and play... I did mine.

The car needs to be programmed with VAG-COM in order for the sat nav instructions to appear on the DIS (between the speedo and the tacho). The RNS-E needs to be coded to the car as well but some sellers on Ebay sell them pre-coded.

If you have a car with a single DIN it is well documented around the internet how to fit a double DIN cage, it involves some cutting of the trim however.

If you have Bluetooth fitted then this also needs programming via VAG-COM and then signal strength and mobile phone operator will appear on the RNS-E along with the phonebook.

You can download a firmware hack from navplus.us which will turn any RNS-E in to a Speech Dialogue System enabled RNS-E. This is the system that allows you to speak to the nav system, eg "Navigate to Home" or "Radio. Play station Radio One", etc. If you want this, you need the Bluetooth microphone and a MFSW as a minimum.

You don't have to install a 6 CD changer as the 2 SD Card slots accept SD Cards with up to 512 MP3 tracks on them. I have a pair of 2Gb cards in... The RNS-E will display track name on the unit itself and on the DIS.

The system fully supports TMC and will warn you and reroute you around accidents, road works and traffic jams. The system will also show you motorway exits. Maps can be displayed in 3d.

There is a Directory which stores names, addresses and telephone numbers and allows you to navigate to these, with both private and business address and tel. numbers.

The DVD covers all of Western Europe. It has a list of 'special destinations' such as restaurants, cinemas, shopping centres, etc all with telephone numbers and the business name, eg Frankie & Benny's 0191 3122211

Overall it is one of the best OEM systems I have ever used and the integration with the car is second to none. Yes you could buy a TomTom and I did look in to this but I have to say I am soooo glad I bought the RNS-E.

Retrofitting is a doddle and I would be happy to help out any one who wants to do this. I have a VAG-COM HEX-CAN lead and software and can reprogram your car and I live 35 miles south of Newcastle.

Terry S
28-10-2008, 09:35 PM
Many thanks for the reply, I unfortunately have a single DIN unit presently so will be refering to the guides as I don't really like the idea of cutting the stock parst unless I can find ready replacements easily.

Flakmunky
29-10-2008, 08:09 AM
I think all you need to cut is the ashtray... The double DIN cage can be picked up off Ebay.

Retro fit guide here

http://www.harddrive.plus.com/

DIESELNUT
29-10-2008, 09:23 AM
Hi, this is my first time on the forum as a new a4 owner. I am looking at fitting Sat Nav too and the info on here has helped me out alot- Thank's!