PDA

View Full Version : car nt idleing - plz let me knw asap

faz112
30-04-2008, 10:33 PM
last week i had my catylic covertor changed as i was informed by local garage it needed changing. so i got this done on Satuday just gone. THe very same nite i was travellin long distance so i was on the motorway wen i noticed everytime i put my foot down i cud hear a sound like air was escaping. as the noise got worse and worse i assumed it was the cat that got loose as it prob wasnt tightend properly
as i reached my destination i Noticed the car sounded like a tractor and it wasnt idleing properly at all (like it was about to cut out)
i had to drive home and on monday i took it back to place and they said one of the bolts was loose . they checked everything and also realised it had blown into 2 pieces (the bit that connects inbetween the manifold and the cat pipe i assume) so they replaced this free of charge.
Prev to this my engine management light was on and i was informed that it was my o2 sensors that needed changing. so i had this booked in for today. i dropped my car of to my local mechanic and he informed me once the new sensors are in it will idle normal.
collected the car today and he said he put the new sensors in and it still drove the same and he cud not figure out wat was wrong with it at all. so he just put the old sensors in as i wasnt gona pay him because my car was still driving the same.
nw im in a stuck position i dnt knw wat is causing my car to nt idle properly, even wen im driving wen i hit bout 2500 rpms my car feels like it is pullin back.
can some one advise me asap wat the possibities are coz my mechanic spent 3 hrs lookin for the prob today with no result

thanks faz

RickT
30-04-2008, 10:36 PM
The only way is to get the fault codes read on this type of problem..

Also.. it may help if you let us know what car is it etc..

Rick

faz112
30-04-2008, 11:00 PM
The only way is to get the fault codes read on this type of problem..

Also.. it may help if you let us know what car is it etc..

Rick

Sorry mate its a audi a3 1.6 se on a 2001 plate

has 90k on the clock

just had service bout a 1000 miles ago

wen the mechanic checked it the only faults was both o2 sensors

he spent 3 hrs today trying to find the problem and still no result

Captain Answer
30-04-2008, 11:11 PM
Ur lk of vwls hrts mi iiis

Sam
01-05-2008, 11:21 AM
Ur lk of vwls hrts mi iiis

Quoted for truth.

Some of us aren't up on our text speak, typing in English gives you an advantage when you want help.

Good luck with your problem.

Eshrules
01-05-2008, 12:55 PM
Sorry mate its a audi a3 1.6 se on a 2001 plate

has 90k on the clock

just had service bout a 1000 miles ago

wen the mechanic checked it the only faults was both o2 sensors

he spent 3 hrs today trying to find the problem and still no result

firstly, what reasons were given for the cat needing replacement?

secondly, your mechanic couldn't figure out why the o2 sensor faults had been logged, when your cat became 'faulty'? hmm

did he bother to clear those codes after he repaired, before taking it on a test run to ensure the car was running fine?

I would probably have left the new sensors on, what he intends to do with (now) used sensors, i have no idea.

I'd take the car back, tell them to fault read it, clear the faults and take it on a test run....

Crasher
01-05-2008, 01:04 PM
Get the fault codes off him and post them. Is it an AEH engine?

faz112
01-05-2008, 09:14 PM
Get the fault codes off him and post them. Is it an AEH engine?

im nt sure if its a aeh engine all i know its a 1.6 se petrol

the cat was changed due to it makin knockin noises. this was done by a differnt mechanic. once the new cat was on the car was fine it just had the engine light on re the oxygen sensors which i was lookin to change in a couple of days

the problem started wen i hit the motorway and the cat became loose from the manifold thats wen the rough idle start (due to it nt being screwed in properly)

just been to a diff mechanic today they checkd it out.

nw faults read

both oxygen sensors and air mass needs changing

the mechanic there told me that these sensors wud nt cause the engine to idle ruffly as it is even if the sensors was faulty

he said it has something to do with air and nt enuff goin in to the engine and makin the mixture more rich

so far ive been to 5 mechanics and none of em have a clue.

any ideas?

help

faz112
01-05-2008, 10:27 PM
guys i just read this page

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=34216

could this fix my problem?? coz wat that person has described is exactly wat happens to me

Crasher
01-05-2008, 10:40 PM
Yes, possibly, but we need an engine code and fault codes.

faz112
02-05-2008, 12:24 AM
Yes, possibly, but we need an engine code and fault codes.

ill get that info for ya asap

faz112
02-05-2008, 05:37 PM
took it to a diff mechanic today which had all the proper equipment. was told the cat is damaged. wemt bk to mr tyres where i had it changed and they said they will not change it.. even thought there is a two yr warranty on it:mad:

wat rights do i have in this situation? coz i dnt knw hw to prove its faulty

Crasher
02-05-2008, 09:38 PM
Catalytic converters don’t “just” fail so what made the original fail? Then you have to ask, what made the replacement fail, more than likely the same fault. If you fit another, that will also fail as the cause of the original failure has not been addressed. The people who fitted the original cat will not get a refund from their supplier as the supplier will know that the cat has failed due to external influences and the fitters will know they have screwed up in missing the original reason for failure. The only recourse you have is through the courts, long and painful. I hope your new mechanic will identify the cause of both failures before fitting a new cat.

We hardly ever fit new cats, one we fitted this week (a Passat 1999 1.8 20v) is the first in nearly a year and the only reason it needed replacing was due to a fracture caused by failed gearbox mounts.

faz112
12-05-2008, 07:45 PM
right the engine is a avu 1.6 se 2001

ive had the cat changed and its still idleing funny. but wen i drive it , it drives fine.

the mechanic connected to the car and it came up with some egr valve fault and air mass sensor signal low. we disconnected the air mass assumin it mite fix it but it was still the same. he deleted the codes and nw it dnt show no faults.

all the pipes look fine no cracks no air leaking
but still sounds like its choking. it defo seems like a air or fuel problem like the right mixture isnt going in wen its idle...

also noticed that cat gets very very hot. ive left the car with the mechanic as he is gona take it to someone who has worked for audi and has special equipment to chk live data

does anyone have any idea wat the problem is here?? 3 mechanics told me if i change the cat it will sort it

plz let me knw