PDA

View Full Version : t4 caravelle gearbox

t4caravelle
30-04-2008, 08:42 PM
my t4 2.5 litre petrol 5 cylinder won't go into 5th gear. I need to source a box but i'm not sure which ones are compatible. Anyone know? The engine is ACU CODE 5 SPEED MANUAL. i WAS TOLD A cpv CODE IS THE ONE I NEED BUT I'VE NO WAY OF TELLING WHAT IS IN THERE NOW AND I CANNOT TAKE IT OUT UNTIL I'VE GOT ONE TO PUT IN.
Some body please tell me what i need?

Russ:confused:

madmart132
08-05-2008, 03:11 AM
Hi mate , I have a 2.0 petrol and am having similar problems at the moment. I am sure mine is the linkage and would get that checked first by VW if you have to as I have had a lot of problems with bodge jobs by non VW garages . If it is the gearbox Sanburn VW in Coventry are VW breakers and have a 2.5 petrol in at the moment complete with gearbox . I think that the boxes are all pretty much the same on the 2.5 L .Hope this helps

t4caravelle
08-05-2008, 08:26 AM
thanks i might give sand burns a call

kenney
08-05-2008, 08:31 AM
Hi To start with you should get the linkage and adjustment checked.If it turns out to be a fault with 5th gear this can be repaired without removing the gearbox i have done it a few times.This will be a far cheaper repair job than having to replace the gearbox.The gearboxes may lok the same but far from it,the gear ratio are different,and are suited to the various types of vehicle and engines.