PDA

View Full Version : spongey brakes?

Cipher
30-04-2008, 08:15 PM
Hello,

im new here so bare with me :).

the problem is that my dad has a 97 passat 1.8cl saloon that has a braking problem, its got really spongy brakes, we have bled them and had a look to see if there was any leaks but there wasnt and its not using brake fluid either, has anyone had the same or similar problems?

Cheers,

Cipher

erico
13-05-2008, 05:18 PM
Hello,

im new here so bare with me :).

the problem is that my dad has a 97 passat 1.8cl saloon that has a braking problem, its got really spongy brakes, we have bled them and had a look to see if there was any leaks but there wasnt and its not using brake fluid either, has anyone had the same or similar problems?

Cheers,

Cipher
Spongy brakes generally does means air is in the brake hydraulic system.

Mild corrosion in the master cylinder or one of the slave cylinders can make the brakes stick and fool you into thinking that there is air in the hydraulic system.

Verify that the wheel cylinders are not sticking by jacking up the car wheels and making sure that the wheels turn easily after the brakes are applied. If one is sticking replace the wheel cylinder. If you can get access to a power bleeder, use it. Otherwise keep on bleeding the system(the hard way with clear plastic tubing in a jar) until you get all of the air out.

Cheers,
Eric

mercedesjenz
26-03-2009, 09:56 PM
Check all your flexi hoses. If they are weak it can feel like air in the system. Look out for bulges, especially when applying the brakes.

gerryb2
18-06-2009, 09:39 AM
I would second this.

I have just replaced my front hoses which were bulging under pressure. Had already replaced fluid as part of service. MOT tester picked it up (thank you neil). Much better now. New hoses cost about £5 each online.

Phil
1995 Passat 1.8CL Estate