PDA

View Full Version : To respray or not to respray?

richyrich
30-04-2008, 11:40 AM
My GtTdi Mk5 is a 54 plate so is beginning to show a few signs of wear and tear, i.e. a few little scratches and stone chips, not that noticeable but they do my head in.

If I were loaded I'd get a full respray but I don't have a spare £ 2-3000 sitting around.

Any recommendations on a good paint restorer I could try first? My car is pearl effect black. (Not bloody T cut)

If I do decide to get parts resprayed whats the general rule on what parts need to be resprayed together? I.e. bonnet & front bumper/grill & front wings together etc.

Thanks,

Rich.

squinty
30-04-2008, 06:27 PM
bonnet you could probably get away with having resprayed as a seperate item. obvipusly you have a large grill and lights between that and the bumper. the only place any difference in shad/colour would get noticed is where it meets the wings. again, there is a gap (smaller) here, and the tops of the wings are on a slightly different angle to the bonnet, so light reflection will be different on these anyway, making it harder to detect.

you say a few little scratches, and then mention paint restorer. exactly what sort of scratches are they? if they are only minor, and in the clear coat then they will probably polish out. if they have gone though the clearcoat then you will need to paint it/have it painted. general rule of thumb is: if you can feel the scratch with your fingernail then it is too deep to polish out, and will need at least one of: - filling/wet sanding /touched up/sprayed etc...

another option for you may be a smart repair. i think it is about £20 for a scratch, and £15 for stone chips. its a bit like getting out the touch up pen, but done by a pro, and it is VERY hard to notice, even when you are looking for it.

Lespaul
01-05-2008, 01:31 PM
My GtTdi Mk5 is a 54 plate so is beginning to show a few signs of wear and tear, i.e. a few little scratches and stone chips, not that noticeable but they do my head in.

If I were loaded I'd get a full respray but I don't have a spare £ 2-3000 sitting around.

Any recommendations on a good paint restorer I could try first? My car is pearl effect black. (Not bloody T cut)

If I do decide to get parts resprayed whats the general rule on what parts need to be resprayed together? I.e. bonnet & front bumper/grill & front wings together etc.

Thanks,

Rich.

Hi Rich,

Where abouts are you?

Sounds like your car could do with a machine polish to remove some of the lighter surface scratch's, a good detailer should be able to fill and then wetsand back stonechips. I'd only respray if it's really bad to be honest.

Darren

richyrich
02-05-2008, 08:00 AM
Thanks for the replys.

Yeah unfortunately a few of the scratches can be felt with my thumb nail so they're a little too deep for a paint restorer I think.

I may get a quote for getting the front end done but again I thing its going to be too pricey.

Smart repair may be worth a shout, I'll take it down to my local body shop garage and see what they think, but you know what they're like they'll just tell me it needs spraying!

Oh and I'm up in sunny Aberdeen Darren.

Cheers,

Rich.

Audi A4 Lover
02-06-2008, 05:30 PM
Try 'chips away' theyre mobile,unless its the kind of stuff that cant be done at home.They come out to you and give free estimates. My local guy did a big rust bubble on my MGB and only charged me 80 quid, and it was quite a job!(If you offer to pay them cash then they very often knock off the VAT;))

mluton
02-06-2008, 07:13 PM
A good detail with paint correction might do the trick.

Have a look over at http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/

DEBBIE.G
02-06-2008, 08:28 PM
Hi Rich

Have a look here.
Lady P
Detail World
http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=59867

richyrich
03-06-2008, 10:38 AM
Thanks for the replys peeps.

I've not got round to getting it looked at as I've been mental busy of late, also my better half is pregnant (all planned) so you can imagine her view on spending buckeroos on my motor!

I'll see what I can get quote wise tho any maybe do it on the sly!!

Rich.