PDA

View Full Version : Wet carpet mystery

supersonickitte
29-04-2008, 08:51 PM
:aargh4:
Oh dear. Can't find out where wet carpet is coming from.
It is not the collecting cups behind the seats, they are fine - have poured water down and it comes out under the car.
Have a cover that husband insists I keep over soft top when it rains. so can't use car in rain:(
Today I went out in the rain . Son has taken out passenger seat and lifted carpet.
Small puddle collects in back corner of rear footwell. Have plugged hole through to front well with Bluetac. Nevertheless, water also appears at front of front footwell!
Audi have promised to charge £90 hour to find out where it is coming from. No thanks!!
Any new ideas? Could it be anything to do with airconditioning?
The car has a history of having the windows adjusted at some point because of a leaky roof! Can't see any signs of water coming in there though.
Anyone else suffering like me?? :confused:

ryanant
01-05-2008, 06:04 PM
Hi there, it may be the plastic trim below your window wipers that has came loose as my mate had the same problem on his S3.

If it is you need to fill the gap with silicone then wipe the top where the plastic & windscreen meet with a wet cloth after aplication to take away the excess silicone.

supersonickitte
01-05-2008, 06:15 PM
Many thanks for that suggestion! Will check it out. The plastic trim under the bonnet, beneath the windscreen, is cracked on the drivers side, so that is also a possibility.

ryanant
02-05-2008, 08:41 AM
That has got to be where the water is getting in from. If it is not too badly cracked try putting some duck tape over it then pour over a bucket of water and check if the water is coming in the front passenger footwell.

supersonickitte
06-05-2008, 09:40 PM
Thanks again for your interest!
Meanwhile - further developments! While I was away this weekend,(against my better judgement) husband put carpet down again. It has not rained at all. I looked under the carpet today and it was wet in the front passenger footwell again! This suggests it could be to do with aircon as car has been out and about. Anyway, have sent for manual (expensive but cheaper than taking car to Audi!) so will look into how everything comes to pieces to investigate!

a8 tech
06-05-2008, 09:53 PM
the air con drain is situated under the glove box and pokes out of the bulkhead,however the pipe isnt long enough to blow the condesation out of the car and into the engine bay.Fit a section of garden hose pipe on to the end and bobs your uncle.This providing the pipe hasent come adrift inside the car which can be checked by turning the air con on and peeling back the drain flap in the engine bay (level with the gloe boxl ower point)and seeing ifthe condensation drips out.

supersonickitte
06-05-2008, 10:24 PM
Thank you for the info!
No prizes for guessing what I'll be doing this weekend! :(

supersonickitte
30-05-2008, 04:19 PM
:aargh4: Still searching! After a heavy rainstorm last night, water appeared as huge puddle in recess behind seat. Seems to be seeping in from underneath, as when I blotted it up with a towel, it kept reappearing for a while through a little bump in the welding. Can't find a diagram in manual(£50) to show what goes on between the double skin of the floor.:mad:

passing
09-06-2008, 11:31 AM
get a passat - at least when the water gets above the ECU you don't get wet feet because you don't use the car.

But seriously, and as you may be aware, there are long known problems with water ingress in Passats, Audi A6 and I even had a 1981 Golf Mk1 with passenger footwell baths. I am beginning to wonder if Audi/VW can actually design cars properly - they certainly don't seem to learn from past designs.

The problems with my Passat are annoying and spoil an otherwise fine car. But VW/Audi attitude was less than helpful they will not even help with information to solve it - I am not asking them to pay as the car is 7 years old.

I have suggested elsewhere that suffering owners get together and complain. Perhaps this forum could survey owners to assess the level of problem.

supersonickitte
09-06-2008, 03:34 PM
Good plan! So far tho' I have not had anyone else with a TT complaining of wet floor.
Latest plan is to avoid reversing my car nose upwards into our steep downwards drive as that seems to have a bearing on my problem?????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!

passing
09-06-2008, 03:43 PM
The MK1 golf was in the family for 25 years and we never solved the problem. It seemed best parked nose uphill and drivers side slightly low.

Lucky that at motorway speeds the noise drowned out the sloshing of water between front and rear footwells.
Despite that the car never rusted noticeably in that area.

The passatis more of a problem though - the alarm going off annoys the neighbours and the flat battery is a pain after a while.

Ian

philipjohn69
15-06-2008, 10:11 PM
Hi I'm a TT owner and had problem with water getting in on driver side front. I park on flat ground so may have been a similar problem. After doing loads of investigating and water tests couldn't find the problem, went to autoglass for a new windscreen, they did a water test and said it wasn't the windscreen - no fault with windscreen so I couldn't claim it through my insurance, eventually I took it to audi and they said definitely windscreen - to cut a long story short my windscreen 'mysteriously' got cracked and i had it replaced on insurance the problem evaporated as fast the water.