PDA

View Full Version : buying high mileage A4 advice

raynash
29-04-2008, 04:43 PM
I am new to Audis and am considering buying a 2002 1.9TDI manual with FSH (Audi) and 145k on the clock. Can anyone tell me what potential faults/weaknesses I should be looking out for please, obviously the price I am paying reflects the mileage.

marmate
29-04-2008, 06:08 PM
Hi

I have had my audi a4 tdi since new, she is a 54 plate and has done 120 odd thousand miles. I am now having niggling probs with her which I sort out asap, wheel bearings last week now a turbo over boost, hopefully caused by audi not changing the fuel filter when I took her in for service, can you beleive that.

If I was to buy one now I would check the undercarage, ball joints are known to be bad on these, never had a problem with mine yet, touch wood! Obviously cambelt should have been done at 120,000 miles on yours, if it doesn't have full service history don't buy it, would be my advice.

Mine went to audi until the 3 years were up now it goes to my mates garage and they hate me taking it in.

Good luck

RickT
29-04-2008, 09:36 PM
I would say as above really...

I would expect you to be paying around the 5k mark for a car with that milage based on a 2002 plate let say..

Rick

marmate
29-04-2008, 11:53 PM
One more thing I would do, I would look to see which audi centre serviced it and phone them they are helpful. My brother brought a high milage one and it was serviced by preston and they confirmed the history and were dead nice sell sell come to us come to us mode.

I also have the oil changed every 5000 - 10000 miles now, depending on how it all seems.

By the way I got my brother his 04 plate with just over 112000 miles on it for £5900 so knock then down as much as you can, easpecially if the cambelt and all that needs doing soon, his was due in 8000 but the sales man didn't realise, so we blagged it. we got it done asap with service, so it come to £6150 in the end once this was done.

I am just dead worried about my over boost, limp mode problem I am having with mine now:( It does make me nervous (high miles, no free audi centre) and I am thinking of selling once the boost problem is fixed and getting a god knows what, the MPG wins with my Audi over everything.

Good luck