PDA

View Full Version : Using a xenon timing gun on 1800 GL

kcorfognik
29-04-2008, 04:16 PM
A mate very generously donated me his Mk2 1800 GL - it is very tidy but the engine just died on him.

I correctly diagnosed a fault with hall sensor in the distributor and slapped in a spare. To set the ignition timing I just set the engine to tdc and then lined up the rotor arm with the #1 plug lead on the cap. Bingo - engine started on the first turn of the key after a month's inactivity. I then twisted the distributor until the engine sounded sweetest at tickover.

I appreciate this is a rough and ready method and will have the use of a timing gun this weekend. I've used this apparatus on other makes but the Haynes manual hasn't cleared everything up in my mind.

Could someone briefly run through it? My main issue is, do you use the markings on the cam belt cover and the pointer on the crankshaft pulley, or is it the markings in the gearbox/flywheel access hole? I understand for this engine in carburetted form all the vaccuum hoses remain connected.

Thanks in advance (heheh- pun intended)

Richard

Crasher
29-04-2008, 06:06 PM
Turn the engine over by hand using a 19-mm 12 point socket on the front pulley (ignition off!) until the notch in the front pulley aligns with the arrow on the lower cover. Remove the bung from the centre of the green plastic fitting in the box and then remove the fitting itself using a 27-mm hex (Allen) key or the head of a bolt for a 27-mm spanner, M18 I think. Look into the box and you will see (or I hope so) a rather indistinct “0” cast into the crank, so highlight this as it is your TDC mark. Turn the engine back slightly and you will see a diamond notch cut into the flywheel, this is the strobe light timing mark. You can use whichever of these marks you like but the 0 mark will require you to dial in 18° of advance into the timing light if it has that facility. The specification is 18° BTDC @ 750 rpm WITH the vacuum advance connected. Check the vacuum advance capsule is not punctured by sucking on the pipe after disconnecting it from the servo feed (take care not to snap the connection) as if the vacuum capsule is punctured, it is impossible to set the timing.

kcorfognik
30-04-2008, 09:34 AM
That's perfect - just what I needed.