PDA

View Full Version : A4 towbar - fitting question

bruce1
28-04-2008, 11:34 PM
Hi,

I've just picked up a genuine Audi towbar from Ebay. It apparently came off a '03 A4, and I'm wanting to fit it to my '02.

However... I can't see how it fits. :aargh4:

Looking at my A4, and all of the instructions I can find for aftermarket towbars, it should be straightforward. Basically remove all of the bumper bolts and screws, remove the 2 vertical bolts each side (bolt heads in the boot area) which hold the bumper beam in place on the chassis rails, stick the towbar in, replace the 2 vertical bolts, and reassemble. Every set of instructions I can find shows these bolts coming down from the boot.

However.... the towbar seems to have captive nuts welded in to accept HORIZONTAL bolts, coming across from the side of the chassis rail, not vertical ones coming down from the boot.

Does this ring any bells? Have I got a towbar for a different model? Any ideas what it might be?

adamss24
29-04-2008, 08:12 AM
i think you got coned...typical ebay practice ! Definatelly the wrong towbar.

bruce1
30-04-2008, 09:34 PM
I've just googled the part number. Looks like it's a genuine Audi towbar, but for an A3, not an A4!

Ah well, time to put it back on ebay...

slow74kWdiesel
30-04-2008, 09:50 PM
What a shitter. I want a towbar on my A4 and I have just been advised to visit a caravan dealership. My girlfriend's dad got a towbar fitted to his A3 for £200 all in.