PDA

View Full Version : 3.0 TDI Quattro - Should it have a scuttle panel? / under bonnet something missing?

toff
28-04-2008, 11:18 PM
Hi,

I've recently traded-in my 2.5 TDI Quattro Sport for a 55 plate 3.0 Quattro S-Line. I'm loving it so far.

To avoid getting my fingers burnt again, I went to an Audi dealership, partially to take advantage of their 2 year free servicing offer, partially for the piece of mind and the warranty.

When I popped the bonnet yesterday, I noticed that the "scuttle tray" (as i call it) is missing. Please see the attached photo. On the 2.5 there was a plastic cover that went over the battery and had a hole for the power-steering fluid bottle.

http://www.toffweb.com/images/missingcover.jpg

The dealership tell me the 3.0 TDI isn't supposed to have a cover there. That seems a little odd to me! Can anybody confirm whether this is correct?

Thanks
Alex.

RickT
29-04-2008, 12:53 AM
it should have a cover over that section...

Get them to lift a bonnet of another one on the forecourt...

Rick

RickT
29-04-2008, 12:54 AM
it should have a cover over that section...

Get them to lift a bonnet of another one on the forecourt...

Rick

Also... it should have a cover over the aircon pipe also which is missing in your photo... (top left in front of the bulk head,)

toff
29-04-2008, 09:15 AM
Thanks kindly Rick.

So I need an aircon pipe cover too! (do you mean the silver pipes running parallel with the MAF body?) I would never have spotted that.

Is any kind soul with ETKA able to get me the part numbers please? I'd rather approach the dealership with a no-messing approach!

Many thanks
Al.

toff
29-04-2008, 09:58 PM
Hi,

The Audi parts dept at the same dealership are also saying that the B7 doesn't have a cover for that area. I found this hard to believe so I did some image searching on the net..

http://images.paultan.org/uploads/2006/08/a4test_enginebay.jpg

I know it's a 2.0 FSI but the scuttle area cover is missing from that too. It was the only image I could find (on google images) of an B7 A4 engine bay.. what are the chances that it has also lost it's cover!

So.. looks like they may be telling the truth! Can any B7 owners confirm if they have a scuttle cover please?

Cheers
Alex.

Abyss
29-04-2008, 10:04 PM
Just got my A4 Avant Jul '07 S-Line 170 last week, and it doesn't have a panel there.

toff
30-04-2008, 12:09 AM
Thanks Abyss.

Maybe it's just because of the B6 A4 I owned that I think the engine bay looks incomplete without the scuttle area cover there!
I might try to get a B6 cover and modify it to fit!

Do you have a cover over your air conditioning pipes as Rick suggests?

Cheers
Al.

RickT
30-04-2008, 09:56 AM
This is a strange one...

As the B6 had one, i was sure to think the B7 would of....

Let us know your findings...

Rick

RickT
30-04-2008, 10:06 AM
heres a B6 one..

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y212/akula-ssh/img_0011.jpg

Still looking for a B7!

Rick

gtrevor
30-04-2008, 09:55 PM
By popular demand, here is a pic of my 56 plate 3.0TDI quattro...

I have owned it since new so definitely "as it should be"...

:D

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk108/GMTRB5/2006_1001Image0021.jpg

toff
30-04-2008, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the above pic.

So it definitely should be like that, case solved.

BUT.. because it looks like the B7 uses the same scuttle-tray as the B6 (i.e. the plastic gutter directly underneath the windscreen) there's actually a ridge that a B6 cover could slot into!

If I can get a B6 cover cheaply enough, I will play around / trim to see if I can get it to fit. It just looks daft with that area open!

Can anybody think of a reason why that area shouldn't be covered?

Thanks
Al.

PS: Is there anybody along the M62 (Hull - Manchester) with a B6 that would let me offer-up their B6 cover to my B7 to see if it's worth doing?

Abyss
01-05-2008, 09:30 PM
Blooming eck! Thats one clean engine bay for a 2 yr old!
GLEAMING !
:)

gtrevor
03-05-2008, 09:55 PM
Blooming eck! Thats one clean engine bay for a 2 yr old!
GLEAMING !

:D Thanks :D

Although I guess I should admit that the pic was taken on the day that I received my car, so it had done about 15 miles at that point !

toff
04-05-2008, 11:42 PM
:D Thanks :D

Although I guess I should admit that the pic was taken on the day that I received my car, so it had done about 15 miles at that point !

You charlatan! I thought you were the god of engine bay detailing! :notworthy

Anyhow, BREAKING NEWS:

Apparently there IS a cover for the area illustrated in my photo (see the photo on the first page of this thread). Please take a look at the two ETKA diagrams below and let me know what you think:

(They are big - click to enlarge)

http://www.toffweb.com/images/ETKA01.jpg
http://www.toffweb.com/images/ETKA02.jpg

I know the diagram shows a LHD A4, but it does specify RHD on the part description.
The dealership, said based on my VIN, it should have come fitted to my car! How weird.

The large cover is applicable to all V6 (B7) A4's but the battery cover is only listed for V8 (B7) A4s! How weird!

I think the parts add up to less than £30 so I'm going to order them.. I'll keep you lot posted!

Al.

toff
07-05-2008, 09:49 PM
So,

I ordered the cover (using the VIN from my B6 2.5 TDI) and guess what...

it fits my B7 3.0 TDI perfectly without any trimming or any dificulty fitting it! It looks like it should be there from the factory!

I just need to order the battery cover now! I will post pics when I'm done.

Al.

Issac Hunt
07-05-2008, 09:58 PM
Could you post up the part numbers of what you fit/order please?

toff
07-05-2008, 10:15 PM
Could you post up the part numbers of what you fit/order please?

Gladly, I'll post before / after pics and part codes at the weekend.

Al.

FLIPKEY
08-05-2008, 10:18 PM
Mine has no scuttle panel thing .

model A4 B7 05 plate,

They are probably not fitted to save on cost.

Ive been told that the A6 does not come with a belly pan as standard any more.

toff
09-05-2008, 11:25 AM
Mine has no scuttle panel thing .

model A4 B7 05 plate,

They are probably not fitted to save on cost.

Ive been told that the A6 does not come with a belly pan as standard any more.

I see where you're coming from but I consider my beloved A4 to be a premium product.

Let's face it, we don't need to be driving A4's.. an Octavia or Passat are from the VAG stable, they are available with most of the same engines that you get in the A4; they would probably do the job just as well (ok, no Quattro, but you can get a Passat 4-Motion).

My point being I've paid ££,£££ for VAG's premium saloon so I can't understand why they'd start cutting corners!

The parts I'm restoring have cost me £25.. so they've probably cost Audi £5 to make. I know that's £5 x how ever many A4's they sell but the engine bay looks unfinished & unrefined without them!

:rant:

toff
11-05-2008, 06:45 PM
Hello,

Here are the before / after pictures for you to see how much neater the engine bay looks with the covers installed.

These covers fit perfectly but please bear in mind that they are intended for the B6 A4. Who knows why Audi don't fit them to the B7! I can't see any harm in putting them on the B7 but if you decide to follow suite, please do so at your own risk.

http://www.toffweb.com/images/a4/bc01.jpghttp://www.toffweb.com/images/a4/ac01.jpg

http://www.toffweb.com/images/a4/bc02.jpghttp://www.toffweb.com/images/a4/ac02.jpg

As standard, the B7 comes with a small cover for the pollen filter area (on the right hand side below the windscreen). This must be removed as the cover from the B6 covers the pollen filter area too.

Here are the part numbers:

Main cover: 8E 2 819 447 01C
Battery access hole cover: 8E 2 819 422 A 01C

The "01C" at the end is apparently a colour code! I didn't realise you could get different coloured engine bay plastics! The battery access hole cover is listed for V8 engines only (for some odd reason) but it fits perfectly.

On my B6, I also had a plastic shroud that clipped-over the power steering fluid bottle / over some electronic junctions. I ordered this for my B7 too.

It took quite a lot of trimming to get it to fit correctly but when I was finished, I was chuffed :biglaugh: UNTIL... I closed the bonnet and realised the gas-strut (used to lift the bonnet & hold it open) was hitting it.
The bonnet did still close, but I wasn't happy about the cover / strut pressing against each other (vibration / pressure on the power steering bottle mountings etc) so I ditched it! (shame, because it does look neater!)

http://www.toffweb.com/images/a4/pscover.jpg
The part code is 8E0 103 927 A but I don't recommend fitting it for the reasons mentioned above.

If you have found this useful, please add to my pitiful reputation score by clicking on this icon http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/applied/buttons/reputation.gif in the avatar column to the left :beerchug:

Al.

elPaulio
11-05-2008, 09:04 PM
Looks very cool, think I'll be ordering these tomorrow afternoon!!

How much did they come to in total?

Cheers

Paul :D

P.S. Enjoy the rep ;)

P.P.S Where did you get the screenshots of the exploded parts view from??

toff
12-05-2008, 10:37 AM
Looks very cool, think I'll be ordering these tomorrow afternoon!!

How much did they come to in total?

P.P.S Where did you get the screenshots of the exploded parts view from??

Hi,

Damn, I knew I left some info out!

The battery access cover was roughly £4.50 and the main cover was about £20 (I'll need to double check that though). I'm certain it was under £30 (screw the cost I thought, I just wanted it sorted :p )

The 3D blown-out diagrams are from a program called ETKA which is the software that VAG group dealerships use.
People on eBay sell copies of it so people like us don't have to rely on dealerships to find part numbers; which is great because some parts desk clerks are SO jobs-worthy!

I have to give a shout out to the following parts desk clerks, who always bend over backwards to help.. Alex at Manchester Audi and Alex at Derby Audi!

Cheers,
Al.

PS: Many thanks for the rep.. ahh it feels great not to be a rep virgin!

elPaulio
12-05-2008, 12:51 PM
Cool, very good mod for pennies really!!

Just hope there's no fundamental reason why Audi never did it in the first place!?!?! :confused:

Knowing my luck I'll do it and it'll block some vital air vent or something!! :biglaugh:

The ETKA thing looks good, might have to have a scour on eBay later on then!

Paul :biglaugh:

RickT
12-05-2008, 07:02 PM
Glad you got it sorted..

That engine bay looks so nicer with the panel fitted..

I wonder why they did not fit it from new on these????

Was it fitted on any other engines from the B7 range??

Cheers

Rick

A4_3.0_TDI
03-04-2009, 03:12 PM
I know this is an old post - but only just joined.
My 2005 A4 3.0 TDI doesn't have the covers either.
The clean picture above puts mine to shame - but no unnecessary covers.

toff
04-04-2009, 01:36 AM
The clean picture above puts mine to shame - but no unnecessary covers.

Welcome to the forum!

Are you saying you prefer the look without the scuttle covers?

A good parallel example is the 1.8T Mk.4 Golf and the previous model 1.8T A3.. both based on the same chassis.. both have the same engine.. the Audi got the fancy engine bay covers, making everything look lice and neat.. the same engine bay covers fitted the Golf engine bay, but VW didn't fit them.

So.. I kinda felt cheated that Audi decided to save less than £10 by not fitting some covers to their almost-£30k-when-new car!

Al.

PS: For those who are interested; almost a year on, there are no negative side affects to report as a result of fitting the covers.

A4_3.0_TDI
06-04-2009, 01:45 PM
Oh no - it certainly looks neater with the panels fitted.
As a newbe I didn't notice the post was on its 3rd page, and was actually commenting on how clean the engine looked on page 1.
Then further on - the admission that the picture was taken upon delivery makes more sense.
Mines nearly 90k and i sure don't clean in there.

windyj
06-04-2009, 10:14 PM
I have a 2.0 TFSI it doesn't have the panel either

big jase
10-10-2010, 08:32 AM
when i had a b6 there was a cover over the battery , break servo and brake fluid ( i think ) but on my b7 there's only a cover on the passenger side???. is this right, if it's suppose to be missing why have audi done this ?. would the b6 trin fit to my b7 as it look's a very similar fit to me. many thank's for reading this .

kite
10-10-2010, 09:34 AM
penny pinching from Audi.
The B6 cover will fit...

big jase
10-10-2010, 10:11 AM
penny pinching from Audi.
The B6 cover will fit...
ok thank's kite, i did ask the audi part's man and he said as he could not find the part number for the b7 then it was'nt meant to have them . any idea what the part's are called so i can see if i can sauce them of e-bay ?

Issac Hunt
10-10-2010, 10:40 AM
Find a decent parts man. The covers were fitted on some of the 3.0 and S/RS models I think so your parts man can look at that model or look back at some B6 models.

kite
10-10-2010, 10:48 AM
search button is your friend

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=88618&highlight=engine+covers

big jase
10-10-2010, 08:11 PM
thank's again kite, off on holiday tomorrow till friday, will order them from audi when i get back .

big jase
10-10-2010, 08:12 PM
Find a decent parts man. The covers were fitted on some of the 3.0 and S/RS models I think so your parts man can look at that model or look back at some B6 models.
thank's issac hunt much appreciated

Ben
10-10-2010, 10:25 PM
i too want one of these covers. Only yesterday i recieved an email from stuart containing the etka parts page with diagram and part numbers on after i asked him if he could help. I didn't think that this had been covered before and i wouldn't even begin to think that a b6 cover would fit a b7. I would't even know what parts they share. Is the b6 one cheaper? I saw a full width cover on robs rs4 on saturday.

big jase
10-10-2010, 11:15 PM
from what im reading, and hearing ben, they are suppose to fit directly, as for the cost 1 link said about £40.00 all in .

Ben
11-10-2010, 05:52 PM
attached is what Stuart sent me. in the diagram you need 3 and 3a. Looking at the RS4 i saw on saturday, we will be required to remove the piece of cover we currently have.

you may need to download this link to view it http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/what-is-the-xps-viewer (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/what-is-the-xps-viewer)

I find it strange how an under bonnet item shares the same page and diagram as dashboard vents ect. No wonder the chap on the parts desk failed to find it.

CharlieG
11-10-2010, 10:52 PM
Guys,

I too thought it odd to find two panels missing! Having checked with the local Audi dealership, they confirmed that my B7 build didn't come with 'Scuttle panels', although some did??

Very strange and 'mean' in my view.

Will probably look to get these panels some time soon.

Thanks.

C.

Lateknight
13-10-2010, 01:38 AM
On B7 models its only listed for 8 cylinder models (S4 and RS4)

Probably a case for Audi cutting costs.

The plenum chamber cover is a 2 part piece (main cover and battery inspection plate), Costs just over £20 for the pair from Audi.

I personally didn't bother with the engine bay side trim (listed in the other link) as I heard the bonnet strut gets too close to the trim without modification. ie I couldn't be bothered.

see also this thread for clarification: http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=35607

Trims shown on ETKA on that diagram because they are related to the fresh air intake. (German logic ;))

:beerchug:

Ben
13-10-2010, 11:59 AM
as the cover for the b6 also fits the b7, is it the same part number and price?

Speshal
13-10-2010, 12:54 PM
Mine doesn't have a cover either.....

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/3427/enginebayr.jpg (http://img403.imageshack.us/i/enginebayr.jpg/)

Ben
15-10-2010, 07:47 PM
i'll be getting my cover on the 5th nov when i take it in for its 1st free mot.

ike
15-10-2010, 09:53 PM
The B7 definitely does not have a cover in that area.

jdp1962
17-10-2010, 04:49 PM
Here's my B7 3.0TDi engine bay. no scuttle cover, but pretty clean for a 3-year-old that has done 57,000 miles, wouldn't you say?

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b331/jdp1962/P1000288.jpg

Jason.S
17-10-2010, 05:26 PM
If it makes a difference, my B7 S4 has the battery cover.

toff
18-10-2010, 02:07 AM
as the cover for the b6 also fits the b7, is it the same part number and price?

Hi,

If you look on page 2 of this thread ( or click here (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showpost.php?p=174426&postcount=14) ) you'll see the part numbers in the ETKA diagrams, but here they are anyhow:

Main cover (around £20 in 2008) part number: 8E 2 819 447 01C
Battery access hole cover (around £4.50 in 2008) part number: 8E 2 819 422 A 01C

The "01C" at the end is apparently a colour code! I didn't realise you could get different coloured engine bay plastics! The battery access hole cover is listed for V8 engines only (for some odd reason) but it fits perfectly.

Al.

wjam
01-11-2010, 05:17 PM
@ Toff,

Yes I thought Audi was the premium product but I can assure you that they are cost cutting like the rest of the corporate world. That also means cutting corners at servicing.

I strongly urge everyone to spend 1 minute removing the air inlet duct (to airbox... just pull to release) and checking for leaves etc. Mine had a nest in there.. but full service history... Quality product with less than quality service

WJAM

toff
01-11-2010, 05:58 PM
Indeed wjam..

I bought an Approved Used 55 plate 3.0 TDI Quattro which had supposedly had a long list of PDI checks... but my airbox was also full of leaves.

At the end of the day, the service departments are only as good as the manager running them.. those grease monkeys will slack off and tick things off the list without doing them if they aren't managed properly!

Toff.

wjam
01-11-2010, 06:27 PM
Yes that's true, but it seems bizarre to me that something that can take no more than 1 minute simply fails to get done.

It doesn't fill me with confidence. My 3.0TDI was getting 28 to the gallon and Audi told me it was normal! I then pointed out the 42 mpg on the showroom model and he said "ah, but that's a new engine with much higher technology than yours." He didn't even flinch as he said that..

I removed the leaves and stuff and bingo 38 to the gallon mixed driving.

Now when I actually point out these problems before the 1000 euro service, I expect them to at least take a look rather than fob me off with an excuse and rob me blind by not replacing parts they charged for... nor checking the obvious.

They even went as far as to say that my now 5 year old car (50k euro when new) is "very old" and perhaps I should consider a new one... I just bought it a year ago!

I run my own small business and 1 day i hope to buy myself a very nice car if all goes well... Well Audi have lost that possibility.

Can you tell I am thoroughly p1ssed off with this excuse for a car company? They have lost sight of the actual customer completely in an attempt at pure profiteering. In my opinion. ;-)

ciao

WJAM

B7Vic
06-12-2010, 10:05 PM
Hi all
I have recently purchased B7 3.0 tdi and it came with those panels :)
it's a 55 reg

toff
06-12-2010, 11:59 PM
Possibly a previous owner retro-fitted them! Can you see on the V5 what the date of maufacture was?

It could be an early B7 - produced before they started to ditch the trims!

Al.

B7Vic
07-12-2010, 12:34 PM
Hi toff
I bought the car 2 weeks ago and still waiting for the v5 to arrive, but it's one of the early b7's (55 reg). I'll let you know the manuf. date once I get the v5
Vic

big jase
07-12-2010, 07:33 PM
i had to order the skuttle trim as i never had one with mine either. also had to order the battery cover to.
took me ages to convince my part's man that it would fit lol

Ben
12-02-2011, 09:42 PM
this is my engine bay with plenum chamber / scuttle cover.
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb105/golfmk5gttdi/IMAG0066.jpg

I think the top left area looks wrong though.

the cover of the unit in the red circle(ish)
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb105/golfmk5gttdi/IMAG0066-1.jpg
looks nothing like the same item in this VVV image

2.0 tdi vs 3.0 tdi whats the difference between these parts or the covers

fourringsrus
12-02-2011, 11:53 PM
In my opinion and thats all it is, the B7 is a facelift B6 so pretty much anything apart from the obvious exterior panels etc , should swap straight over and as said above Audi are not fitting some parts to some models in an attempt to save money, as sometimes these parts are not essential, just cosmetic.

Ben
13-02-2011, 12:35 AM
In my opinion and thats all it is, the B7 is a facelift B6 so pretty much anything apart from the obvious exterior panels etc , should swap straight over and as said above Audi are not fitting some parts to some models in an attempt to save money, as sometimes these parts are not essential, just cosmetic.

From this i understand that the (updated) part on the 3.0 should fit on my 2.0. But the question still stands. What is this part? I suspect it is the ecu housing but i could be wrong. Clearly the 3.0 is a larger housing so i'm left to wonder if the contents of the 2.0 housing will fit scurly insinde the 3.0 housing?

fourringsrus
13-02-2011, 12:49 AM
If you look at the pictures at the start of the thread ,the car and the position of the scuttle cover do not change.
The cover on the near side of the car (L/hand side) is only coverring the pollen filter housing.
As said earlier in the thread ,this will need removing in order to swap in the full length cover from a B6 onto a B7
Good luck and goodnight

Stuart

Ben
13-02-2011, 01:11 AM
mine is the 2.0. i have removed the pollen cover and successfully fitted the full width cover. this i understand 100% as i've done it.

the image above with the red circle on is MY car.

Ben
13-02-2011, 01:13 PM
i have identified the part.

i think it is the ecu housing.

kite
13-02-2011, 01:19 PM
I thought the pollen flter was on the near side and the ECU was on the offside.
Do you know you can get a cover for the aircon pipes that are on the offside !

Ben
13-02-2011, 01:43 PM
I thought the pollen flter was on the near side and the ECU was on the offside.
Do you know you can get a cover for the aircon pipes that are on the offside !

i realised this and have edited my attachment and text in previous post.

i think the cover is part 29 in the attachment, but is fails to list a part number.

kite
13-02-2011, 03:31 PM
taken from a rival forum...

8H0103928 - £11.23 + vat

fourringsrus
13-02-2011, 07:47 PM
Ben , my apology, I didn't realise that you were seeking out just that portion of the cover and if I didn't come across as very helpful last night , it was getting late
Cheers

Stuart

Ben
13-02-2011, 08:55 PM
Ben , my apology, I didn't realise that you were seeking out just that portion of the cover and if I didn't come across as very helpful last night , it was getting late
Cheers

Stuart

No problem at all.;)

toff
22-02-2012, 02:12 AM
I've recently upgraded to a 3.0 TDI A6 Avant (2005).

I was annoyed to find that the Audi rings logo has snapped off the engine cover.

Looking at this thread, I notice a photo of the same engine cover fitted to the A4 3.0 TDI that's missing the logo too:

Is this a common fault do you think... repeated hot/cold cycles cause the plasic pegs holding the logo on to go brittle and the snap when the engine cover is flexed (when bieng removed etc)?

As far as I can see, the only way to replace it is to get a new (or second hand engine cover).. they are about £50 on eBay! Totally not worth spending to replace a badge.. but it does look a bit <removed> when the bonnet it lifted.

I have looked into buying a cheap enginve cover (from another model) to transplant the rings from, but it's so hit & miss getting the size of the rings right!

Toff.