PDA

View Full Version : a3 battery drain

scotty66
28-04-2008, 09:58 PM
hi im new to this my 2001 a3 1.6 se has a new battrey but if you leave it for a few days it dies any body got any ideas or have you had a similar problem im on the verge of getting rid of it coz everone ive asked hasnt got a clue thanks hope somone can help:(

PolarisM45
21-10-2008, 05:10 PM
My wife had bought a perfectly healthy Golf TDi 110 in 2002. I wondered why he sold it really. After three days the battery was drained. I recharged it same happened. I changed it same happened. So I gave it my time one evening. I checked the current drain with the engine switched off and ignition key removed - all doors closed. The drain was negligible.

I found that the alternator fuse right on top of the battery had been replaced. I checked the voltage drop across it. It should be insignificat. But it was over 1.5 volts. Effectively this means that it was restricting alternator current from reaching the battery. I went to VAG to buy a new fuse. The guy opened the fuse bins/boxes and found one. Same happened. I went back and asked if it is an Origianl VAG part. He said no, no need for that. I asked him to order the original. He thought I was crazy probably. My wife thought so anyway!
The fuse arrived a week later. I installed it since it is well secured with two bolts. The voltage drop disappeared and the battery never drained again to date.

Dee-GTI
21-10-2008, 06:59 PM
Had a touran with this problem. Turned out to be the courtesy light in the glove box, the switch had come dis-lodged somhow and wasn't turning off. Same can also happen with the boot light!

Worth a check.