PDA

View Full Version : 1.8 8V running rough.

sportline
28-04-2008, 09:36 PM
My Sportline is running really badly, like it is off one or two cylinders, I had a look inside the distributer cap, the 4 metal bits are black and the inside of the cap is marked / scored to the side of each metal bit. Any ideas?

Crasher
28-04-2008, 09:48 PM
Fit new ones!

tech1
28-04-2008, 09:51 PM
My Sportline is running really badly, like it is off one or two cylinders, I had a look inside the distributer cap, the 4 metal bits are black and the inside of the cap is marked / scored to the side of each metal bit. Any ideas?
Hi sportline basics first,when was the last time it was serviced..plugs etc..
clean the four contact points in the cap,pull slightly on the center carbon pin in the middle (its on a spring so be carefull)pull so about 1cm is sticking out.clean rotr arm ctr point and end.then do a simple check to see if your rotor arm is in good order..get insulated plyers ,hold HT coil lead about 1cm away from ctr of rotor arm and crank engine.if it sparkes its no good,rotor is going to earth,this will give you rough running thinking a cylinder is off..if all ok then put all back together and run engine,you now need to do the same to each plug lead,pull of one at a time to see what cyl is off(engine tone will not change on defective cyl)if no tone change hold lead 1cm from engine earth see if it sparkes,if it does the lead is OK .now you have to check the plug..
hope this helps...

Crasher
28-04-2008, 10:05 PM
Check to make sure that resistor plugs have not been fitted; these can contribute to post burning.