PDA

View Full Version : List of problems with my 2001 1.8T - anyone else?

curiousgeorge
21-12-2006, 08:15 PM
Driver's door thinks it's open when it's shut, only intermitently

Air noise from the sunroof at high speeds.

Very quiet rattling sound from the sunroof

Loud cluncking sound in gearbox ocasionally from 1st to 2nd

RickT
23-12-2006, 12:39 PM
1 - Check the door pin... if this is sticking it will cause a fault and show you door is open... (open the door and free the pin off)

2 - air any seals standing pround on the roof?? is they are sign if rust under the seal... (even a 3mm lift of a seal can create a lound noise at 7MPH..

3- when the sunroof is closed, is it going fully back into the closed postition?? if you press the sundoor when clsoed is they any play in it.. (try open the drivers open.... put your hand on the glass on the top and put your other arm in the car and place on the glass on the bottom and grip.. try to see if theres any moement... (if you have short arms... find a friend to help.

Is there any sign of water entering the cabin from the sunroof??

4- Gearbox... manual of auto?? could be a differnet issue for either, please let me know which box is in there..

Cheers

RickT

curiousgeorge
23-12-2006, 02:14 PM
Thanks Rick for your suggestions.

I didn't notice anything sticking out of the door lock. I asked about this when I had some bodywork done and they said it's quite a common fault. If It was something simple I'm sure they would have sorted it for me. I'll have another look.

The sunroof is waterproof and seals are not proud and there's no rust. As far as I can tell it closes fully with no apparent play.

The gearbox is manual.

George

RickT
23-12-2006, 02:56 PM
just going back to the door pin... i meant the door pin swtich next to the hinges on the door.. check that area.

Cheers

RiCKT

curiousgeorge
23-12-2006, 03:57 PM
Ah, I was looking at the door catch.

Thanks!

RickT
23-12-2006, 05:12 PM
no worries... let us know if you resolve this..

Cheers

RickT

curiousgeorge
05-01-2007, 01:53 PM
Hi Rick,
Thanks for your help but I had a look at the hinges area and there was no pin of any kind.

For some reason the problem is less frequent now.

George