PDA

View Full Version : B8 aftermarket audio

Squirrel
28-04-2008, 12:58 PM
Currently driving a B7 (56-plate) A4 2.0 TDI Quattro. First thing I did when I picked it up was pulled out the crappy OEM audio and fitted decent aftermarket kit.

Now... it seems with the B8 that you can't do that, there's no "head unit" as such. Unless you can pull the in-dash changer out and replace it? But then wouldn't that mess up the MMI controls?

Any ideas?

mkc
28-04-2008, 03:46 PM
No idea what is behind the OEM kit. However, I would suggest a new head unit would make the dash look a mess. The OEM is all currently molded, hooked into the MMI and if you have the Sat Nav option the controls are down by the arm rest so could be a bit problematic! Speakers should be easy tho I guess

Squirrel
28-04-2008, 04:00 PM
The speakers were something I didn't bother replacing as the standard A4 (non-Bose) speakers are pretty good.

Basically what I've done in my B7 is this:

Sony MEX-BT5000 Bluetooth head unit
Connects2 Sony USB interface with 16GB USB flash drive
Connects2 Sony iPod interface
Vibe DeltaBox line driver (powering rear amplifier)
JBL GTO-4000 4ch amp powering front and subs
2x 10" JBL subs in boot
Audi Active system powering rear speakers
RFI/noise power filter
1F power cap

Tried not to go too OTT, all the back-end kit (amp, power cap, filter) fits behind the trim in the boot, the subs are hooked up to an inline XLR and can be removed in seconds if I need all the boot space.

mkc
28-04-2008, 04:14 PM
There is what appears to be a sub on the parcel shelf of the B8 I test drove (currently waiting, sleepless night, for my S Line B8)
Gonna be a long slow summer.........

Squirrel
28-04-2008, 04:19 PM
The B6 and B7 have an 8" sub on the parcel shelf...

Malcolm44
28-04-2008, 04:59 PM
This is a guess and maybe far of the mark.....
However, if the MMI system is the same as the A5, A6, A8 and Q7 then would one of these enable aftermarket systems to be installed? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Audi-A6-A8-Q7-MMI-Navi-Multimedia-interface-Newest-ver_W0QQitemZ260190740181QQihZ016QQcategoryZ10372Q QrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp163 8Q2em118Q2el1247

My thought was when ordering the new B8 A4 (which I get tomorrow... whoo hooooo) was that the sat nav etc was overpriced for something that is not as functional as the others on the market i.e. POI's speed cameras etc. So the same could be said that unless there is some software block - which should not be legal as we have paid for the complete car to do with as we please - at the risk of warranty.

Just a thought and to spurn some discussion

Froggy
29-04-2008, 11:33 AM
I think on the newer cars that retrofitting the factory stuff or just biting the bullett and ordering it is probably the only way to go.

The newer systems are very well integrated with the car, and not simple to add to, as well as not looking very pretty if you add on third party gadgets.

I'm probably going to just order with sat nav, and full phone integration because it works so well. I agree it's not cheap, but you do get 3 year warranty on it all.

If you have heard the B & O system it's also pretty good...

Squirrel
29-04-2008, 01:04 PM
Haven't heard the B&O system. The Bose system in the B6 and B7 isn't that great. Better than the standard system but not a patch on a decent aftermarket setup. One would hope the B&O is better though.