PDA

View Full Version : Dip Stick!

Foringo
27-04-2008, 11:50 PM
Just picked up my 2.7 V6 tdi multitronic in Deep Sea Blue.....Absolutely fantastic car!:approve:

Had a quick scan thru' the manuals but it's going to take weeks to get to familiar with everything....but I guess that's all part of the fun of a new car!

The one basic piece of info I couldn't find in the owners manual was where the dip stick is situated! Admittedly I've only had a quick look under the bonnet but it wasn't anywhere immediately obvious. The manual might have more information buried somewhere but it appears to just give a typical example that applies to the whole range. There's a plastic plug-like fitting at the front of the engine that pulls out but it's not attached to anything and I'm not sure yet what its function actually is:confused:

Anybody out there will a 2.7L or 3.0L V6 tdi who has found it yet?:1zhelp:

I expect it will need topping up soon as Audi supply a bottle of oil with the car!

AndyE66
28-04-2008, 12:52 AM
Don't think it's got one! I can't find one in my 1.8 but you can check the oil level from the MMI. Have a look at page 254-255 of the instructions (UK handbook) and page 38 for the DIS message telling you to add oil!

Foringo
28-04-2008, 05:43 PM
Thanks Andy,

You are right...I phoned Audi today and after a bit of background discussion they confirmed that it didn't have one. I knew you could check it on the mmi but assumed it would also have a stick! The short plug at the front must be where they originally intended to fit one....perhaps Audi now charge separately for this:rolleyes:

AndyE66
28-04-2008, 05:48 PM
Thanks Andy,

You are right...I phoned Audi today and after a bit of background discussion they confirmed that it didn't have one. I knew you could check it on the mmi but assumed it would also have a stick! The short plug at the front must be where they originally intended to fit one....perhaps Audi now charge separately for this:rolleyes:

I have to admit to a few minutes of headscratching and wondering how a half-inch dipstick would actually be able to tell me the oil level before resorting to the manual and noticing that a dipstick seems to be an option:Blush2:

mkc
29-04-2008, 03:16 PM
I dont currently have a dipstick on my petrol 2006 1 Series BMW. You get a rubbish graphic (not seen the audi one yet) on the computer screen.

Its rubbish because it goes up and down, it takes "6 minutes" to get a !reading and I dont trust it. You cant beat looking at a dipstick with your own eyes to see what it smells like, colour and measuring it

It takes some getting use to! Of course with it being a BMW/AUDI no doubt it will send an alarm to the dash and direct you to your local ******* to top it up. Luckily my BMW is not a due its first service until 2 months after my A4 S Line appears so it will be someone elses problem. :beerchug:

MackemMan
29-04-2008, 03:39 PM
I am ashamed to say that while I have had my A3 (2.0 TDI) I have never been able to read the dipstick. My approach was to wait for a dashboard warning & then stop as soon as possible to top up using the supply contained in the pouch.

After all it was an amber warning the car gave you (on par with warning you that your fuel was running low), not a red warning.

From what I have been told it seems to be more of a problem for your engine if you overfill.

Sounds like the new A4 idea is a good one, but my wife has a Golf & we have same problem.

Perhaps I just need new glasses!

Foringo
29-04-2008, 06:37 PM
I have to admit that I would like a dipstick so I can actually see how much oil is left and its quality rather than relying on electronics...next thing the engine management system will give you a rollicking and switch itself off in disgust!

moptisam2
20-05-2008, 08:46 AM
I have ordered a 2.0 TDI, hopefully due for pickup in about four or five weeks. Following remarks on the Forum about the dipstick I contacted the dealers and asked for information, I have received the following reply: "I looked into the dipstick query and I can confirm that all UK Spec New model A4 2.0 Tdi's come with a dipstick located at the front right handside of the engine so no need to order anything
different".
However, as this reply does not tell me whether it is a half inch dipstick, for use only by the automatic system or a "traditional" dipstick that I can check before a long journey, before I go back to the dealers for further clarification, I would be grateful to hear from anybody who has recently bought a new 2.0 TDI, as to what type of dipstick it is.

Thanks in advance

steve1234
20-05-2008, 09:20 AM
Hello!! Just to say I've peered under the bonnet of my 2.0 tdi and it's got a proper, full length, metal dip-stick with a big orange handle!!!!! If it's anything like my old 2.0 tdi I'll need it as in it's eraly life it went through oil like you wouldn't believe and then settled down after 10,000 miles. I'll be keeping a watchful eye on this and using the top-up that Audi have provided in the boot!!!

moptisam2
20-05-2008, 10:19 AM
Thanks Steve1234 for your quick reply.

I've had a 2005 A4 TDI since new (Jan 05) and have never had a problem with excessive oil use, I just like to check the oil/water/tyres before a long journey and think it's a bit 'dangerous' to allow an auto system to tell you something so critical - especially as there was never, in my opinion, anything wrong with the 'traditional' method.

I don't like the idea of an oil warning light coming on when I am halfway down the M1 and then having to hope I have any/enough oil in the container in the boot!

steve1234
20-05-2008, 10:33 AM
On my previous A4 (also an 05!!) it had a period between 4,000 & 10,000 miles when it was using a litre of oil every 1000 miles!!! Audi see this as "acceptable" which amazes me! After this you become very aware of oil levels and keep a supply on board at all times! (plus the oil's not cheap!)

I have a Boxster as well and it doesn't have a dip-stick, you just use the computer on the dash and I hate that - nothing like seeing it with your own eyes!!!

deanr123
24-03-2014, 09:57 PM
I have just took a chance and purchased a dipstick for an audi A4 2009 manual quattro 2.L petrol.This is the code from audi tamworth. 06J115611 E Found it from the USA http://www.audienthusiasts.com/Articles_OilDipstick.html WOWOWOWOWO itsfits like a glove, no dipstick. problem solved £16. Get IN!!!