PDA

View Full Version : Noisy A4 2.0L Engine?

AudiSport
21-12-2006, 10:09 AM
I've just got an A4 2.0L Sport on a 2001 Y Reg, and I feel the engine is very noisy.... It's not a knocking/ tappetie sound - it's just LOUD..

Is this the case with all these engines, or should I seek some mechanical advice?

RickT
23-12-2006, 12:59 AM
how many miles is on there?? are you saying its lound when your in the car or when your outside or when the bonnet is lifted...

its not a really loud engine.. however on tick over its seems to me one of the quieter ones...

if you could go into a little more detail we can look into this further...

Cheers

RickT

AudiSport
23-12-2006, 07:55 PM
Cheers Rick,

She has 72k miles and is due a service. The clutch has a very high cripping point so I suspect shes been worked hard, although there is nothing to suggest the mileage has been tampered with.

The noise is not on tickover, it is when you accelerate. There is no rattle, or fast tapping to suggest damage - the engine (to me) just sounds very loud! When crusing at 70mph it really is quite loud in the car...

I can't discribe it really, it's just like someone has turned the volume up.. Although instead of the car having a "vroooooooom" noise when accelerating, it's more like a ... I don't know - a diesel?

The performance doesn't seem to be affected in any way, although having only just brought the car I guess I would really know!

Maybe it's just a different engine coming frommy Gti Turbo golf?

RickT
23-12-2006, 11:07 PM
maybe... i cant say i have noticed... make sure your radio is set on about volume 20 and that will sort the issue out!!! :Blush:
If there no strange nosies and your exhaust system has no leaks i would say its normal..

The clutch on these is high anyway so its probably normal with a high biting point.

Cheers

RickT

AudiSport
23-12-2006, 11:29 PM
Yeah I guess it's normal!

I've just been for a spin and as strange as it sounds it's almost got that Skooby "B b b b b b" rumble to it... Lovely noise, it's just not like anything I've ever herd from a 2.0L engine....

Is there anything maybe the previuse owner could have done..

RickT
23-12-2006, 11:34 PM
that sounds strange... as they dont normally sound like that.. scobby sound good... i guess not if its not meant to...

Is it a standard exhaust??

also on idle does the revs stay still or does it bounce about??

Cheers

RickT

AudiSport
23-12-2006, 11:43 PM
You can here the "B b b b b b" at really low revs when you tickle the throttle.. I'm sure something is wrong now - and I'm concerned that something maybe a miss...

It's just weird the performance is fine. There is plently of power and the delivery is smooth. The exhaust looks standard, although I guess it could be modified - although would it really change the engine sounds that much. The tone isn't different, its the whole delivery of the noise that is not what I was expecting...

Just going to pop out and look under the car at the exhaust!

RickT
23-12-2006, 11:47 PM
if its running fine im sure it will be ok.... however it just does not sound right from your description... they are normally just a gentle tick over at a consisant noise level..

i would be intrested to hear how it sounds... you got a mobile where you can record the sound and then put it onto the pc??

if so drop us a email with it..

Cheers

RickT

AudiSport
23-12-2006, 11:53 PM
Just had a look and the rear box looks very standard to me...

I'll see if I can record something tomorrow afternoon and ping it over.. The sound really is lovely. Now I brought the car from a mate - and he did say to me last night the previous owner fancied himself as a bit of a mechanic so maybe hes made some mods - however odly the rest of the car is 100% standard....

Hmmmmm, if nothing is wrong I'm very happy!

RickT
23-12-2006, 11:57 PM
if its running ok dont worry.. i will be intrested to hear the sound tho!!

(I have only been a member here 24 hours have have already made 55 posts!!!! LOL!!

Cheers

RickT

AudiSport
24-12-2006, 12:03 AM
You've been very helpfull. Thank you!@

I've only been a member a few days.. Always had golfs. GTi Turbos and the od chipped TDi. But this A4 Sport came up cheap as a mate was only going to get trade it price for it so a whipped it off him!

Absolutley love it, although its not my first choice of colour. It's a mid blue mitalic - almost denim in colour?

RickT
24-12-2006, 12:08 AM
LOL!! same colour as mine then!! LOL!!

RickT
24-12-2006, 12:11 AM
just like this then!!

Cheers

RicKT

AudiSport
24-12-2006, 12:13 AM
Ha ha - Yeah!
Is yours a 2.0L Sport too?

Just been looking at this car on Pistonhead... I like the alloys and the colour-coded bumpers etc.. Although again it has those proud strips at the bottom of the doors?

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/100070.htm

AudiSport
24-12-2006, 12:15 AM
Sorry this one has the strips at the base of the doors, not the other one.
Really not big on the RS4 wheels..

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/113220.htm

RickT
24-12-2006, 12:20 AM
AUDISPORT

Following on from
as this has gone off topic.. see below link to new thread...

RickT

RickT
24-12-2006, 12:21 AM
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=11030#post11030

RickT
24-12-2006, 05:33 PM
Just had a listen and it does sound different to normal...

See the email i sent u,

Cheers

RicKT

AudiSport
28-12-2006, 10:27 AM
yep just listened to yours and it sounds how I would expect a 2.0L to sound.... So what the hell is up with mine?

It sounds normal on tickover, however when you accelerate you get this noise from the engine that - well if I'm honest sounds like a diesel more than anything else...

What could have been changed by the previous owner - or more to the point me f*cked?!

u02scn
28-05-2007, 06:15 PM
yep just listened to yours and it sounds how I would expect a 2.0L to sound.... So what the hell is up with mine?

It sounds normal on tickover, however when you accelerate you get this noise from the engine that - well if I'm honest sounds like a diesel more than anything else...

What could have been changed by the previous owner - or more to the point me f*cked?!
Did you ever get to the bottom of the noisy engine thing? Or is all still well?

AutoTDI
28-05-2007, 07:43 PM

Don't knock diesels! I have a 97, 1.9TDI(110) with over 120K and at 70mph all I can hear is a bit of wind noise. I put this down to the excellent noise insulation, above and below engine, below bonnet and in cabin. Do the petrol versions have similar insulation?

RickT
28-05-2007, 08:41 PM
i never heard anything back from AudiSport, He said he was going to look into it..

it could of just had a different air filter on or induction kit??

RickT