PDA

View Full Version : Problem with MK4 1.6 Golf

R1CBM
21-12-2006, 09:52 AM
Hi there, I’m not to the forum and new to Golf ownership.

My wife owns a 2000 X plate 1.6 imported Golf. Done 40k miles and we picked it up about 3 months ago and have put about 2 to 3000 miles on it without a problem. I got it serviced and MOT’ed last week and we had an issue with it last night.

Now my wife had said intermittently it had lost power for such a small amount of time it felt like the car had jolted. Now when I had driven it nothing happened.

Guess what, late last night about 11pm foggy and cold she picked me up and it happened, looked like the rev counter just dropped about a 1000 rpm very quickly and then picked up again.

A little later it cut completely. The power steering went then the oil pressure light came on. We pulled over and stopped. Then turned the key off then back on again, the engine light came on and when we tried to turn it over it would not start. It was turning over but felt like it needed more juice.

I then had a go and gave it some throttle and it was then ok. It revved up and I drove it home it seemed fine. However, the engine light was still on.

Now, I am used to older cars without electronic ignition and the last time I had an issue similar to this, it was the distributor that was knackered or the ignition coil. Not sure what’s under the bonnet of these little motors?

Any help appeciated

Boardboy
22-12-2006, 02:17 AM
I think hall senders are a problem. Could you get the car read for a fault code if your engine light is still on?
Regards Boardboy

R1CBM
22-12-2006, 11:29 AM
Yeah, booked a chap to have a look at it. He's not coming over until Jan though.