PDA

View Full Version : Audi Symphony and ipod

PaulHelyer
27-04-2008, 08:16 PM
I have a b7 cabrio with audi symphony (6 disc) and ipod adapter in the glove box.

As you know for some reason only known to audi, the artist/song titles are not tranferred accross to the radio.

You would think if the music could be tranferred and phone numbers/contacts from mobile phones could be tranferred to the car, that they would by now be able to sort this ipod problem. I wonder what the reason is?

Anyway it is driving me mad with over 300 songs on the ipod, finding anyone is impossible. Is there a simple fix by means of a lead that can be plugged into the back of the stereo for example, that can in turn be plugged into the ipod to enable the ipod to be used normally. Otherwise I will have to use the ipod as a pedestrian does, ie with the ear pieces in when driving the car !!

hoff
28-04-2008, 04:13 PM
Hi there, I tried at lenght to find an answer to this problem, especially as my brother in law has a 2002 BMW 3 series which can tell him all the info he needs and he loves reminding me of it. In the end I removed the Audi ipod link and sold it, then bought dension ice link and I operate that on ipod interface and have it in a cradle like most woudl have a phone. This is not perfect but I can at least browse songs whilst in the cradle and I can take it out, change album etc and slot it back in. With the dension you can have car interface or ipod, with Audi kit its car only. Sorry to ramble hope it helps

JR

toff
02-05-2008, 12:26 AM
Hi,

You'll need to dig-deep and get a Dension Gateway 500, which will allow you to see track names on screen (and even in the DIS - between the rev & speedo).

I think the Gateway 500 cost about £500 fitted (have not checked for a while). You may find the Dension Gateway 300 will do the job too (Check out the Dension website).

Al.

toff
02-05-2008, 06:29 PM
Just looked, you can get the Dension Gateway 500 for about £270 from eBay.

It really is the best solution as far as I can see (it also allows you to play video through your headunit and much more).

Al.

thecount
03-05-2008, 11:07 PM
I have just purchased a Audi A4 Sline Avant 05 plate. I really want an ipod adapter for it. what is my first point of call for sorting this out? As I am new to Audi's I'm not sure if I have Symphony or not? and if I have does this mean I can add an adapter for the ipod?

how much does an adapter cost btw?

all I can tell you is the following:

I have Sat Nav Plus
CD changer in the glove compartment.

toff
04-05-2008, 09:21 PM
I have just purchased a Audi A4 Sline Avant 05 plate. I really want an ipod adapter for it. what is my first point of call for sorting this out? As I am new to Audi's I'm not sure if I have Symphony or not? and if I have does this mean I can add an adapter for the ipod?

how much does an adapter cost btw?

all I can tell you is the following:

I have Sat Nav Plus
CD changer in the glove compartment.

Sorry Paul, this doesn't help you with your Symphony question.. but in reply to TheCount:

You don't have a Symphony radio, you have "RNS-E" Sat-Nav. The best solution in my opinion is a Dension Gateway 300. You can get them on eBay for as little as £150.

Be aware that there is currently no way to get MP3 names on your Sat-Nav screen and on your DIS display (the display between your speed and rev counter).

By the way, the Gateway 500 won't work in your car because the A4 doesn't have the full MMI (Multi Media Interface) it's known as "MMI Concept"

This link may help you: Linky (http://www.navplus.us/forums/showthread.php?t=7696&highlight=ipod)

Al.

thecount
05-05-2008, 11:25 AM
thanks Toff - I think as long as I can just play the tracks, I won't mind really. what is the best solution for this as I am not bothered about seeing the tracks really. tia.

toff
05-05-2008, 12:41 PM
thanks Toff - I think as long as I can just play the tracks, I won't mind really. what is the best solution for this as I am not bothered about seeing the tracks really. tia.

Hi,

If you just want to play from your ipod and not see any track inform then here are your options (to the best of my knowledge):

1. Dension 100 Gateway.

2. Dice iPod car integration kit.

3. Connects2 IPOD004 adapter.

Whoever you buy from, make sure they are aware you have have RNS-E Sat-Nav (it's not the MMI version as you have a B7 (2005-2008) Audi A4). The connection on your RNS-E Sat-Nav is the Quadlock type.

In all the above cases, you should be able to go to the next track / previous track with the usual CD Forward / back buttons on the Sat-Nav. I think there are also a number of generic (unbranded) adapters now available on eBay from china. I don't know how well these work.

Hope that helps
Al.

PS: Appologies PaulHelyer, your post has been hijacked!

thecount
05-05-2008, 09:17 PM
many thanks toff

Issac Hunt
06-05-2008, 09:08 PM
Track names can be displayed on the RNS-E screen, but only through the Video option, by using a multimedia device like the dietz 1417 or the kufatec IMA+