PDA

View Full Version : Manual 3.0 TDI Power delivery characteristics

Nigelo
27-04-2008, 05:19 PM
When accelerating hard, changing gear will cause a brief increase in RPM at the point of releasing throttle / depressing clutch instead of an instantaneous cut in power. Have been told it's quite normal for this 2006 engine @ 44K miles but having driven many other Fly-by-wire cars including non VAG turbo diesels, I have never come across this before

Car is 100% otherwise

Is anyone able to confirm if this is normal or whether a change of MAF sensor / EGR adjustment or similar would help.

Thanks in advance

2007DBR9
27-04-2008, 08:33 PM
I haven't noticed this in mine, I will look out for it now that you have mentioned it. Well done going for tha manual :D

elPaulio
28-04-2008, 12:48 PM
Hi there,

I remember reading on one of the posts that hte 2.0TDi had an ECU remap done by Audi which had this characteristic and was something to do with saving the clutch?!?!
From what I can remember they had also done it to the 2.0 TFSI and people were complaining but Audi wouldn't change the petrol one back but were willing to change the 2.0 TDi back.

May be worth asking your dealer if you have had a similiar ECU remap and if they can change it back.

Cheers
Paul

Nigelo
29-04-2008, 01:08 PM
In fact it is an A6 3.0 TDi Avant but since the vast majority are Auto (it took nearly 3 months to find a manual through the Audi dealer network) I thought a reply from you knowledgable A4 guys would be more promising. So thanks for both your replies.

Although 44K is high mileage for 23 months use, no remaps have been carried out but do not know if standard mapping for May 2006 builds in this delay for throttle to cut power.

For the life of me I do not see how this can help the clutch. Light throttle medium revs provides instant power cut on lift off. Full thottle high revs provides momentary increase up to 250 rpm on lift off and can lead to over revving if you are near limit when changing gear. I have also tried full throttle in 2nd and lifted off without changing gear - The momentary delay of perhaps half a second is definitely there

Throttle body is very clean with no deposits and works smoothly with finger pressure against actuating motor - The TB is set at full open when ignition is off, of course.

Any more ideas very welcome

2007DBR9
29-04-2008, 01:52 PM
I had a check (good excuse for some thrashing) on my car, and it doesn't happen. I can't think of anything that could cause this! Have you taken it back to the dealer and asked them about it?

Nigelo
29-04-2008, 02:39 PM
Thanks for your reply. No I haven't taken back to Dealer as I bought car through network where supplying Dealer is in Cornwall and I am in the South East. Car was last serviced just 6K miles back on long life schedule so not due for some time. Although still well inside warranty, Dealer will almost certainly say that this is normal and I will end up with a large bill for the diagnostics.

I do have the full Pro version of VAG-COM and this shows completely clear of errors and in fact has zero count of previously cleared errors. This will support Dealer charging me of course and hence my questions here. My engine type is BMK by the way

Thanks again for the feedback

elPaulio
29-04-2008, 03:33 PM
Thanks for your reply. No I haven't taken back to Dealer as I bought car through network where supplying Dealer is in Cornwall and I am in the South East. Car was last serviced just 6K miles back on long life schedule so not due for some time. Although still well inside warranty, Dealer will almost certainly say that this is normal and I will end up with a large bill for the diagnostics.

I do have the full Pro version of VAG-COM and this shows completely clear of errors and in fact has zero count of previously cleared errors. This will support Dealer charging me of course and hence my questions here. My engine type is BMK by the way

Thanks again for the feedback

I would check with the dealers that they haven't updated your ECU as partof the service! From what I heard that is when the dealers were doing this "upgrade".

Has yhe car always done it??

Nigelo
30-04-2008, 12:43 AM
I would check with the dealers that they haven't updated your ECU as partof the service! From what I heard that is when the dealers were doing this "upgrade".
Fair point - I will get this checked. Meantime, any idea if and how I can use my VAG-COM to tell or is this type of flash "update" untraceable?

Has yhe car always done it?? Yes, since I bought the car just 2 months back but prior to that no idea.

elPaulio
30-04-2008, 06:57 AM
With Vag-Vom, you could try going into the engine controller and bringing up the "Advanced ID -1A" and have a look in the Flash status box.
It might not tell you for definate if it has been done as it may still be at zero, but if there are Flashes in there then they could be to do with this.

But a trip to the dealers should do no harm, they should have this kinda stuff recorded. Has it's servicing been done at the same dealers each time? I'm unsure if the dealers pass servicing data between each other! Someone may be able to shed some extra light on this!

Hope that helps

Paul :D

Nigelo
30-04-2008, 01:21 PM
Thanks Paul, much appreciated. Will therefore try VAG-COM this weekend

Only one entry in service book @ 37K but clearly must have had at least one other between. AFAIK, software flashes are either processed online to VAG HQ or via CD. In both cases, Dealer needs to complete online form with VIN to get paid so yes everything done is theoretically available to Dealer chain. Still trying to check this out.

Take care and thanks again

Nigelo
30-04-2008, 03:14 PM
Well at least I have now eliminated the software. Feedback from Dealer chain is that only an Immobiliser update has been flashed and nothing on the engine management at all. Dealer also confirmed that there are no outstanding S/W updates or indeed any other campaigns.

So back to square one I guess unless this characteristic really is by design which I find hard to understand or believe

elPaulio
30-04-2008, 03:34 PM
Your welcome, make sure and let us know what they come back with!!!

gtrevor
30-04-2008, 09:58 PM
Just to add, I've got a 56 plate 3.0TDI Quattro with 17k miles... This doesn't happen on mine either (manual) ...

Nigelo
02-05-2008, 01:58 PM
Thanks Trevor and that's only a few months younger than my A6. Out of interest, what's your engine type (mine is BMK) as it could make a difference.

gtrevor
03-05-2008, 10:07 PM
Thanks Trevor and that's only a few months younger than my A6. Out of interest, what's your engine type (mine is BMK) as it could make a difference.

er..not sure - how do I found this out?

Nigelo
04-05-2008, 01:04 AM
1st 3 letters of engine number in logbook and also shown on sticker inside service book

hope this helps

gtrevor
04-05-2008, 11:26 AM
Ahh ok thanks.

Engine version is ASB.

Wonder if this relates to different versions of the engine, or just build date??