PDA

View Full Version : help sudden 110 tdi engine failure

conkers
27-04-2008, 10:23 AM
i bought an r reg avant a couple of months ago:o. but.... while driving to work the engine just lost all power and stopped. i put more diesel in as it was low (i know!!!) but no joy. i checked that fuel was getting through and it is.(although not registrering on the trip computer).
the rac man said the cambelt (800 miles old) may have slipped also it sounded very rough at the bottom end when being turned over.(after 10 secs of turning over the oil light goes on but there is enough oil)
i towed back to the place who replaced it. they said timing is fine and its the timing of the injectors. they cant do this work. help!!!:1zhelp:

Crasher
27-04-2008, 03:31 PM
I have had one AFN engine jump its pump timing for no good reason and have seen/heard of numerous others doing the same, usually a week or so after the belt was replaced, ask them to double check it on the pump using the locking tools. Ask them to see if it will run on ether spray, if it does that usually means it is pump timing. The oil light coming on after prolonged cranking is perfectly normal but just because the sump is full of oil, doesn’t mean it has pressure-this is a common misconception that has led to avoidable engine damage in the past.

conkers
27-04-2008, 08:48 PM
I have had one AFN engine jump its pump timing for no good reason and have seen/heard of numerous others doing the same, usually a week or so after the belt was replaced, ask them to double check it on the pump using the locking tools. Ask them to see if it will run on ether spray, if it does that usually means it is pump timing. The oil light coming on after prolonged cranking is perfectly normal but just because the sump is full of oil, doesn’t mean it has pressure-this is a common misconception that has led to avoidable engine damage in the past.

Thanks for the help. :odo you mean water pump or diesel pump ?
the rac man tried easy start but it didnt work, although it nearly started.

Crasher
27-04-2008, 11:34 PM
Diesel pump. If it was the pump timing it would fire up pretty quickly on Easy Start.