PDA

View Full Version : problem with miss fire on bora

vwbora16valve
20-12-2006, 08:24 PM
:1zhelp: if any one can help me i have a bora 1.6 16v aus engine 2000 model when the car is on tick over the engine sounds like misfire the exhaust is like popping sound then it goes smooth then popping again and also if you drive it as soon as your about to go it stalls recently i noticed my coolant was a bit low so i ask a m8 to check it he removed the timming belt and notice a slight leak on the water pump when he removed it the propeller on the back had broken off so he replaced it then said i will change the timming belt while he was there he did the job and told me to collect the car i took it home as i got home it stalled on me but started to idle up and down on the revs has any body any idea what this could be

VW Techniker
20-12-2006, 11:38 PM
Did your friend disconnect the battery when he replaced the pump and belt?

Eshrules
20-12-2006, 11:42 PM
ill tell you what i think, unless your 'm8' knew what he was doing and had all the cam locking tools, chances are hes knackerd up your timing, unless you or he knows how resolve this, get it to a garage ASAP, i dont need to explain to you the damage you can do to an engine if the timing is out.

vwbora16valve
21-12-2006, 08:45 AM
he did not take the battrey off at all but when i got home i removed the earth terminal from the battrey for half hour and restarted the engine but no difference at all

vwbora16valve
21-12-2006, 08:49 AM
[he siad he had trouble trying to get the crankshaft pulley off so he took it to a garage and they removed off with an air gun then tighened it back up then got back to his place and removed the pulley he used some locking tools on the camshaft and he said he went off the timming behind the pulley on the crankshaft if the timming is out by a fraction will the car still run?

Eshrules
21-12-2006, 11:19 AM
if the timing is completly out, the car will still run but the timing of the pistons, valves and when the fuel is 'combusted' will all be out of sync, you are risking the chance of major engine failure if the timing is out. from what my brother and several fiat lovers told me, pistons hit valves, cam belts snap, tensioners fail. in essence, if your timing is out, you should not drive the car. i believe golfs have been identified as an 'interferance' engine, which means should the cam belt fail it will take most of the rest of the engine with it. you need to get your timing checked. this was fairly simple for my fiat, unsure about the golf? all i did was take out the plugs and leads, lock the cam in place, put some 12cm dowels in the holes where the plugs were and you can see how much the timing is out by the position of the dowels, simple thing to do was to rotate the engine by hand until they were level...hence timing correct. unsure if you could apply the same principle to the 1.6 16v? i defintley wouldnt be driving it whilst you're unsure though!!

vwbora16valve
22-12-2006, 08:58 AM
Thanks for that will i be able to check the timming with a timming light or is that just for the old cars? well if not i phoned my local vw dealer and to put the car on a diagnostic machine it would cost 45 quid which seems a bit much is their anybody in my area who has a scanner to test the car i am in ashton under lyne.:1zhelp: :1zhelp:

bora(ing) nick
22-12-2006, 09:55 AM
I live down the road in clayton, but no machine sorry!!!!

Eshrules
22-12-2006, 02:36 PM
hi, i live in stalybridge and have both a fault scanner and vag com but a scanner wont help your timing. im not too sure about vag com as im sure you can assess it using that, but unsure how to! that £45 fault reading diagnostic wont do much to be honest, itll just show certain sensors are out of range in most probability, due to the timing being out. you need the timing checked, not the engine fault management system. i suspect that wil be quite expensive, unless your m8 knows how to check the timing himself?

RickT
23-12-2006, 01:05 PM
VAG-COM will have logged faults if the time is out... more than likley it will show a misfire or crank sensor to high/low..

I would have a look at the timing first things first... however it also sounds like a coil back may have gone down,,, these cost £25 each..

if your mates claims the timing is perfect... have try the below....

If you dont have VAG-COM and want "try" and fix it you can do the below..

I would go buy a coil pack,, £25 each in the UK, then take out coil pack number 1, and go for a drive... if no different... replace the exisitng one and then try in number 2.. and so on to coil pack number 4... - once you have done this and "IF" its better in one postion leave it there...

I would then recoomend reaplcing the other 3 as they will be next to go... or its upto you..

Cheers

RickT

Eshrules
24-12-2006, 09:10 PM
i never thought about the crank sensor! i had the same kind of fault on my fiat, it showed the cam sensore out of range all the time, it was because my timing was out! after xmas, if you want to bring your car around i will stick my fault reader on it and you can have a gander and draw some conlusions from that! just count it as a favour owed ;) and 45 quid saved :)

RickT
25-12-2006, 01:03 AM
let us know how you get on with this.. nice offer eshrules

Cheers

RickT

vwbora16valve
27-12-2006, 11:50 AM
hi m8 is there any chance you could have a look at my bora please to see if the timming is set right i am only down the road from stalybridge would be very gratefull

RickT
27-12-2006, 11:54 AM
In regards to VAG-COM.. please have a look at this post..

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=3581

You will have to check the connection on the Golf/Bora etc..

Cheers

RicKT

vwbora16valve
27-12-2006, 12:05 PM
hi thanks for the reply m8 my bora data link connector has a 16 pin its a aus engine year 2000 if this helps

RickT
27-12-2006, 12:10 PM
is the connector like this?/?

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/images/DLC_Pinout.gif

also see this..

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/applications/golfjetta.html

and then find the type of lead you require....

then download the software from Ross-tech... and then get onto ebay and look for the lead...

Cheers

RicKT

vwbora16valve
27-12-2006, 12:19 PM
hi Rick i am not sure m8 i have got autodata on cd but i dont know where the data link is situated in the car shal i have a look and see where it is?

RickT
27-12-2006, 12:30 PM
This should help you....

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/dlc.html

RickT

vwbora16valve
27-12-2006, 12:44 PM
hi Rick just been down to the car and took a photo of the connector it is located above ashtray on right hand side and looks like this

[ATTACH][ATTACH]120

RickT
27-12-2006, 04:15 PM
nice one... if you have a look on the above link it will tell you which lead you need and what software.

Cheers

RickT

RickT
27-12-2006, 04:19 PM
1998-2003 (Jetta=Bora)

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/applications/golfjetta.html

it looks like the same socket as mine... also Ross Tech state its the same

So if you follow the guide at the top of the page you should be ok..

Cheers

RickT

Eshrules
29-12-2006, 12:23 AM
just got your pm about sorting the bora out this weekend, unfortunatly, the golf is having its front anti roll bushes done tomorrow so its not going to be able to be done for saturday mate, im certain though that you should not be using it while the timing is out, you could be doing permenant damage to your engine components in doing so. i am free next weekend though, so bob it down and ill read the codes for you, not sure about checking the timing, bt at least i could point you in the right direction!!