PDA

View Full Version : EOS Roof Noise

joolzh13
20-12-2006, 04:44 PM
I snapped up an Eos in July. I didn't get the choice of colour etc because it has been pre-ordered by the dealer. I was happy with 2.0 TDI Sport, Midnight Blue, Cornsilk Leather interior. I added the i-pod connector which at the time was only available in the glove box (Not in the arm rest as mentioned in other posts on this forum). That was a disappointment because you cant see the names of artists/albums etc.

Anyway I have had lots of problems but none to moan about because the car ticks so many boxes and I am very pleased with the design and drive of the Eos. However, I have had a rattle from day 1, it started on the passenger side and the dealer couldn't source it they said they had packed it out to stop it but that didn't work.

The problem is intermittent, that is you can drive over a small bump and it happens yet go over a big pot hole and no noise.

The car went back and returned but the noise happened on the right when you went round a right hand bend with a bump and the left hand side when you turn a left hand bend more annoyingly the noise sounded like it came all the way across the rear of the car when driving in a straight line and driving over a dip in the road.

The car has been back again and they just cant source the problem. I am told the car is safe but if they can't source the problem how can VW be sure. Its also confirmed that of three Eos's (one of them being mine) two make the noise and one doesn't. So why should I pay £24K for a car that makes an annoying rattle/clunk and could possible be un-safe.

The car is now going to be tested by a VW Technician tomorrow, I shall be telling them that since the car returned to me you can hear a rattle constantly in the rear as well as the louder clunky noises that happen with dips in the road.

The shelf that holds the roof isn't wobbling, it happens with shopping in the car and without. Interesting though it doesn't happen when the roof is down.

I will keep you posted and would be interested if anyone else has experienced this.

hula-hoops
21-12-2006, 12:25 AM
Sorry to hear about your rattle. I had one that was fixed by spraying the roof support shelf fixings. I was surprised that it was this because the noise was so loud. Is it worth you temporarily removing this shelf just to rule out it isn't the same problem?

Simon

joolzh13
03-01-2007, 03:34 PM
Well, my car has been back 8 times now since July...... I collected my car 22nd December only to find that the technicians had put my car back together badly and if I look in my mirrors I can see the boot sticks out one side more than it should. The dealers couldn't do anything with it being Xmas so I drove to Ireland with much annoyance and disgust that my roof noise is actually worse than ever. I was fed some story about the roof not bending with the car when it goes round a bend but as the car makes a noise in a straight line at 20mph I can't see what relevance the roof bending round a corner has to the problem.

A friendly customer service person called me to say we are dealing with you and rest assured someone will be in touch to arrange collection of your car......no-one has taken notice that I have asked for a refund / replacement car. You see every time my car has gone back its been returned with more problems. The drivers door un-aligned, leaky roof, scratches, tear in the leather where the back seat has been removed numerous times....and a noise which cannot be cured. At least Head Office recognise the noise and say it is not acceptable (unlike the Dealers who said it was acceptable).

Has no-one else got a noise or know of any other websites... this is driving me to distraction!

langhurst
04-01-2007, 10:37 AM
This sounds just like the noise I have - when you go over a bump or uneven bit of road, it rattles / squeaks. Car is now with the dealer for the 4th time, and they have given us a courtesy car which does exactly the same thing! Have you any update? We have already written to them saying if it can't be fixed we shall be rejecting the car.....

GurnyGub
04-01-2007, 11:07 AM
Get your dealer to order in some Krytox. It should be used after every wash, I believe.

joolzh13
04-01-2007, 11:15 AM
Sorry to hear you've the same problem.

My car has been in 8 times..... the courtesy cars I have been given were Polos, Golfs & Passat so I cant say I've had the pleasure of driving another Eos. However the dealer suggests that the MD's wifes car makes the same noise where as another demonstrator doesn't.

I have been emailing VW to say I want a replacement car or a refund but they seem to ignore me. Yesterday a Customer Service person called to say someone would be in touch to book my car in to be taken to Milton Keynes but that just annoyed me further that someone else is involved and won't be able to sympathise with the scenario because they've come in so far down the line.

The reason this is dragged out for me is the dealer said the noise (which they couldn't find was acceptable) and they could never take my car instantly because there was never a courtesy car and I have to travel 120 miles a day.

The latest I was told is that the roof doesn't bend with the car when it goes round a bend but that cannot be true because the car makes the noise when it goes slowly in a straight line and of course this would be a huge design flaw that would affect all cars not just some.

By the way my noise has gotten far worse which VW claim makes it easier to fix..... I can't wait to see what goes wrong with the car next time.

So far after visits to fix the noise my car has been returned with the drivers door not shutting properly. The dealer fixed the lock but manged to re-align the door inadequately so that the chrome strip which runs round the bottom of the glass all the way round the car dropped a few millimeters lower at the point of the drivers door and so it then had to be sent to a body shop to have the door re-aligned properly.

After it was in for 'another' inspection on the noise I got the car back with a leak that hadn't been there before.

Another visit and I got the car back with the boot not put back on properly, jutting out one side and a small rip in the passenger leather seat presumably where they've taken the rear seats out trying to access the noise.

I shall keep posting to this site please let me know how you get on.