PDA

View Full Version : Replaceing standard speakers? wiring?

ky_bren
26-04-2008, 12:29 PM
the front speakers in my 2002 golf have blown so i decided to change them with some aftermarket ones my mate had, but there is four wires going to the standard speaker but the new ones only have two connections

any ideas please??

Col
26-04-2008, 01:07 PM
The speakers have 4 wires as follows;

one set of two from the head unit

one set of two to the tweeter built into the wing mirror cowl.

Sometimes this is reversed, i.e. from the headunit to the tweeter and onto the mid range unit in the door.

Personally, unless you are fitting a 2 way component sysem, I'd leave the stock speakers in place as you will loose the high sound and imaging you get from the high mounted tweeters. It could end up sounding worse.

The stock speakers are believe it or not quite good and will handle a fair bit of power if driven by a nice clean signal.

If you are going to upgrade the sound system, start with the head unit, then consider amp(s) and lastly look at the speakers.

wackyracer
27-04-2008, 07:23 PM
I was just about to ask the same question myself!
However, i have been told that you need a speaker adaptor for the front speakers if you replace them, is this true? Mine have blown on one side and the other is going.
Also i have a 3 door golf and on removing the back panels to see why the back ones have never worked i was shocked to see that there weren't any! Did the 3 door golfs ever have them? I don't even see any wires going to the place where they should be.
My Golf is a 2001, Y reg Mk4 GT TDI 130PD

ky_bren
06-05-2008, 07:44 AM
im only changing the speakers due to them having blown, but i decided to have a look see how they are wired and even tho there is four wires only two used in the speaker itself the other two are for the tweeter (makes sense when you look at it)
only problem now is now every now and again when i turn my car on i get a pop sounding noise from the speaker not loud but then everythings quiet and i get no noise, i only have the front speakers in my car. iv checked wiring to the speakers and the headunit but im stuck for ideas now any help pelase?