PDA

View Full Version : steering angle

chris g
26-04-2008, 11:27 AM
help.i took my 2001 a3 18t to audi garage due to a warning light and thay said it was the steering angle was wrong and would cost £300 to repair.if this is not repaired how much damage would it do to the car

TheMatador
07-08-2008, 03:00 PM
Hi - did you get this fixed in the end? I have the same problem I think (ESP warning light comes on). Dealer has part for £168 including VAT.

chris g
08-08-2008, 08:20 PM
hi. what i done was i took the steering wheel off and cleaned all the electrics on the steering wheel and put wd fourty down the steering column.keep the front wheels straight

TheMatador
08-08-2008, 09:57 PM
Did that sort it - if so I'm going to give it a shot this weekend....

chris g
09-08-2008, 09:57 AM
yes it sorted it.ive had no probs since.got finger's crossed for you.let no how you got on.chris g

TheMatador
09-08-2008, 03:07 PM
Perfect - that's what I hoped you'd say! Will give it a go asap - being thwarted by the rain at the moment:(

TheMatador
14-08-2008, 09:10 PM
Well, that didn't work - got the steering wheel off ok but I'll be damned I know how to get the sensor out. Fault is permanently on (voltage supply) and won't clear....

TheMatador
16-08-2008, 10:42 PM
Took the sensor off today and stripped it down. Used an air blower to clean the optics and put WD40 on the electrical contacts. Thought I'd sorted it as the light went off when I took it for a test drive but light came back on after about 5 mins. Looks like the sensor is genuinely toast :(

davyb69
19-08-2008, 03:35 PM
My ESP light is always going on and of for no reason.

To be honest it doesnt really bother me, but if its an indication of a more expensive problem ....that does bother me.

Sometimes I wish I didnt go into forums!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TheMatador
19-08-2008, 08:25 PM
After having taken mine off the other day and semi-fixing the problem I don't think it is anything serious...*
Per my posts on other threads, I dismantled the sensor and found that the pins that form the male part of the connector are only pushed into the circuit board - not soldered. I sprayed it with WD40 and the light comes on much less than it used to. Still does occasionally. I reckon if I solder those pins to the board it will fix the problem. You can be sure that if it works I'll post the results on the forum in delight....

*I should qualify that statement - if you do a fault code read and the fault is to do with steering angle sensor supply voltage, then I don't think its serious...

TheMatador
30-01-2009, 09:28 PM
My post above didn't fix the problem. Had to replace the sensor in the end. £191 from Audi Dealer - fitted it myself. At least it has solved the problem - no more ESP or ABS warning lights:)