PDA

View Full Version : Disconnecting the Aux Cabin Heater

Mozz
25-04-2008, 10:42 PM
Hello there.

Can anyone tell me if the Auxillary Cabin Heater can be disconnected & how to do it?

Are there any side effects other than less heat to the rear passengers?

The fuel consumption when it is on out weighs the need to have extra heat, especially with diesel at £1.20 per litre!!!:mad:

Emily's dad
26-04-2008, 03:13 PM
Ihave read somewhere, can't remeber if its on this forum or elsewhere, but it is a simple as removing a fuse.

I'll see if I can find out where I read that.

kenney
26-04-2008, 03:55 PM
The auxillary heater will not operate with an outside temp more than +5 degrees.But to disconnect the heater pull the contact off the ambient temperature switch, in plenum chamber, left

dibly
08-05-2008, 06:47 PM
i have just found out that i have one of these heaters as i was having my mot--it has just been sitting there unplugged [under the vehicle ]--i didnt know that i had one --but dont know why i had one real;ly--but know ill effects

dibly
Hello there.

Can anyone tell me if the Auxillary Cabin Heater can be disconnected & how to do it?

The fuel consumption when it is on out weighs the need to have extra heat, especially with diesel at £1.20 per litre!!!:mad:

mattkerton
08-06-2008, 07:06 AM

Mozz, the auxiliary heater warms the engine coolant, which is then used to provide heat to the rear passengers via their heat exchanger in the back. If you disconnect the heater then it takes longer for the engine to warm up. This means it's doing more miles before the oil's working 100% etc, so could cause more wear. I don't want to sound like one of those Doom and Gloom mechanics "do as I say or your engine'll blow up" - I suspect the difference is slight, so it's a personal choice against the cost of diesel.

Once the engine's warm, the auxiliary heater comes on and off depending on the demand for cabin heating (and how much heat the engine's generating on its own). If you can cope without cabin heat, then just turn it off at the climatronic and it won't cause the auxiliary heater to turn on and burn diesel.