PDA

View Full Version : A3 2.0 TDi - funny noises!

javu
25-04-2008, 10:30 PM
Hi all,

I have a 2005 A3 2.0 tdi with 54k on the clock. It has full Audi history and always serviced and looked after.

It has recently starting making an unusual noise. This is most noticeable when driving up a smooth-surfaced road and reducing the power to the engine (either changing gear or taking foot off accelerator). This noise is an odd whirring which only lasts for about second but seems pretty loud.

The car has been into the local Audi dealership to theoretically have it looked at under the warranty. The dealership were unable to find a cause for the fault (checked bearings, gear box oil) so have blamed it on the tyres; essentially they have told me there is not a fault (and charged me for that - cheeky buggers!). I have been to the tyre supplier who has checked the tyres and hasn't found any problem; he has had no reported problems or noises with the brand and runs his own car on them. He has also offered to come on a road test to listen to the noise and give his advice. I've been buying from this tyre fitter for the last 12 years and trust them.

I would have expected a more constant noise if it was the tyres, linked more to speed than reducing engine power?

Does anyone have any advice on what might be the cause? Could it be the turbo, or something gearbox/driveshaft related?

Thanks in advance.

Dave