PDA

View Full Version : Audi 80 Shock Absorber Mount

KRed
20-12-2006, 10:27 AM
Hi everyone

My Audi 80 (1993) has just failed the MOT.

One of the problems is that the front shock absorber mount (which I am told is simply a rubber mount) is making excessive movement.

Can someone please advise whether this is something I can change myself ? Is it just a case of replacing the mount ?

Would I be able to do it by just removing the wheel or do I need complicated equipment and need to get under the car ?

If I can't replace it myself, can someone suggest where I can at least buy the rubber mount so that I am not ripped off by the garage. I live in London.

Thanks.

KRed
20-12-2006, 03:45 PM
Thanks for the reply. The garage is going to charge me £108 for changing one mount. So I was hoping it could be done with a few tools at home. I guess not then !

KRed
20-12-2006, 05:35 PM
Andy thanks so much for that. I have now found a local garage recommended by a friend who will do the top mount and my split gaiter (both on the front offside) for £70 squid in total ! I agree I think the Nationwide charge outrageous rates. I did my MOT there, it failed on Monady so of course I wasn't daft enough to let them do the repairs.

KRed
20-12-2006, 05:39 PM
Oh I forgot to add in case anyone else has this problem, my local Audi dealer sells the gaiter for £11 and £9 for the shock absorber mount. You can probably get them cheaper somewhere else, but as its Xmas holidays I don't have time shop around.

If you buy these first and then give them to the garage to fix you save loads of money !

In total for the gaiter and mount the Nationwide quoted me an outrageous £223 !!!