PDA

View Full Version : windscreen wipers

RS4Molar
25-04-2008, 12:04 PM
Hi guys, new on this forum.
How do you remove the windscreen wiper assemblies on the RS4.
I've removed the plastic cap and the bolt, but the wiper arms don't want to budge . ....:zx11:

kite
25-04-2008, 04:20 PM
You need a small puller.
I would go the a windscreen repair place and ask them .

toff
28-04-2008, 10:43 PM
Hi,

I recently cracked my windscreen trying to get my wipers off! They clearly hadn't been moved for a long time.

From my experience, I learnt the following:

Before you take the nuts off; turn-on the wipers on the slowest wipe, let them get to the top of the screen then pull your keys out of the ignition (to stop them parallel to your a-pillars).

Now undo the nuts. Scrape away and oxidisation between the wiper blade arm and the central spline. Spray a generous amount of WD40 or penetrating fluid into the recess (i.e. around the spline, where the nut usually covers).

Give the WD40 a few minutes to do it's magic. Now this is the really helpful bit (that I learnt too late): Lift the wiper arm 70-80 degrees off the windscreen, hold it at both ends to ensure it can't shoot-off and damage something. Now carefully rock the hinge of the windscreen wiper towards / away from the windscreen.. the arm should then come unstuck from the spline.

The secret is to avoid side-to-side movement around the spline - that does no good at all. You need to rock the wiper arm forward and back along the length of the spline -that breaks the oxidisation which is holding it in place!

Hope that helps,
Al.