PDA

View Full Version : Passat power problems

gordy79
25-04-2008, 09:39 AM
Hi everyone,

Just bought myself a 53 passat tdi sport, and was looking for some help / advice.

I started the car a couple of nights ago and started driving, the car was driving and pulling fine for the first 5 - 10 minutes of the journey but then all of a sudden the car lost power, it still drove but just seemed as if the turbo had stopped working, it was very very sluggish.:confused:

There were no lights or warning in the dash, when I stopped and came back to the car about 25mins later it started fine, but when I started driving it was back to normal.:confused:

Has anyone else had this experience? Is it easily solved? Is it a problem I should be worried about? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Gordy

paul b
25-04-2008, 04:23 PM
Possibly a MAF sensor, but could be others. Do you have VAG-COM or anything like that which can give fault codes?

Paul

devsgolf
25-04-2008, 07:47 PM
You've come to the right place. I had that exact problem myself a couple of weeks ago until i posted my problem here. The lads are a priceless help (no really). Its a very common problem on the PD 'ingun'. Like paul b said, it could well be the MAF (Mass Air Flow Sensor). Its the first little gadgety bit out of the airbox. Has a little plug connection on it. Its staring you in the face as you lift the bonnet. I changed mine and its running fine now. If its faulty, its not measuring the correct amount of airflow into the engine under heavy pulling and so trips the ECU into 'limp mode' to be on the safe side. Restarting the ignition resets the ECU and you're off again. Other possible diagnosis could be a tear or a split in one of your turbo out pipes. Which could cause the engine too loose presure under boost, also tripping the ECU. I've also heard of a faulty pressure actuator causing this problem, altough I'm not sure how this could affect things. Hope this helps a bit even if its the longest most boring post I've ever posted. Good luck with sorting the problem.