PDA

View Full Version : Golf V - Double DIN Stereo

GDEvans
25-04-2008, 07:35 AM
I have recently bought a 2005 Golf GT 2.0 TDI. I would like to upgrade the stereo to provide proper ipod control (with track / artist display) and bluetooth phone compatibility.

I have decided to purchase the Pioneer FH-P80BT double DIN unit (http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/products/25/121/61/FH-P80BT/index.html). It is only £250, and has a nice sized display with a decent spec. It also doesn't stick out like some of the sat nav units. I want it to blend into the car. I don't want it ripped out of the car by some scrote who will sell it to fund his next fix!

I understand there are different manufacturers of fascia adaptors. Which one is the best looking / best fitting / strongest / best colour match for a Golf?

Also, I haven't removed the existing RCD300 yet. What kind of aerial connector does it have. Will I need to purchase an aerial adaptor at the same time as I get the wiring loom adaptor?

Can anybody recommend a good Pioneer dealer in Devon, or online? My local "Pioneer Navigation Station" elite dealer in Plymouth doesn't have a single Pioneer head unit on display. Not very elite if you ask me!

imagice
27-04-2008, 10:12 AM
Hi,
That looks like a nice all round bit of kit.
I was also looking at upgrading my rcd300 to an aftermarket one.
Let me know how you get on.

myhopper
27-04-2008, 05:09 PM
i wouldnt go for that one mate, u need to get one with a full screen, of which the whole screen comes off the front, you can pick them up from around 300, but if u just spend ur 600 on one now, you'll prob never look at replacing it while own the car, only way to be safe too!
plus u can ebay ur current stereo to offset a bit of cost, im doing mine in next few months, has the stuff uve mentioned but comes with usb slot too, so can even just play tunes from a usb memory stick, a friend of mine owns an award winning car audio installation shop and has give me this sound advice and will be fitting mine for me, prob not worth the trip for the fitting mate, but u can always take a look at his site anyway, www.audioconcepts.co.uk (http://www.audioconcepts.co.uk)

i cant wait to start my install, starting with the double din fitting, then adding focal front speaker components, (dont need rear with these fronts) then going for a genesis amp with focal 10inch sub in rubber/plastic enclosure-top quality install but still with room for the shopping!, not many full boot enclosures willbeat this 10 inch!

GDEvans
27-04-2008, 09:58 PM
myhopper - I think you misunderstand me. I deliberately do not want one with a large screen that looks expensive and worth stealing. What do you do with a large screen when you remove it - it won't fit in a pocket, and leaving it in the car is a no-no? This Pioneer unit matches the car nicely, and does everything I need. Plus it is a lot cheaper than the full screen ones.

I have a VERY nice Cyrus hifi at home - that is where I do my serious listening. In the car where there is traffic noise etc, I personally do not see the point in installing an expensive system. But I know a lot of people that have done so, and it brings them a lot of pleasure!