PDA

View Full Version : Problems with DVD SAT NAV

SINGHY
24-04-2008, 08:19 PM
Anyone experienced a malfunction whereby the sat nav cuts out and you get a message saying "the CD/DVD is unreadable please check CD/DVD". I took it into AUDI and they said the disk was filthy which they then cleaned but I still have the problem intermittantly, it's quite annoying when you're near the crucial bit of your journey and you lose navigation.
Any ideas?

El Guapo
25-04-2008, 07:48 AM
Anyone experienced a malfunction whereby the sat nav cuts out and you get a message saying "the CD/DVD is unreadable please check CD/DVD". I took it into AUDI and they said the disk was filthy which they then cleaned but I still have the problem intermittantly, it's quite annoying when you're near the crucial bit of your journey and you lose navigation.
Any ideas?

I would say you require a new sat nav DVD.

2007DBR9
26-04-2008, 09:40 PM
Sounds like your system is faulty. Could be a problem with the laser that reads the disc? Mine has been fine (so far). Where do you live? Some country's appear on both of the Sat Nav DVD's and you could try putting the other one in. Look on the back of the box and it tells you what countrys are on what disc.

Abyss
28-04-2008, 07:24 PM
just got my new 07 A4 Avant , and it seems that the Sat Nav isn't working quite the way it should.
When I bought it, the sat nav was miles out. it said I was somewhere 40 miles away. We thought it was a reception problem and it would cure itself with a bit of a drive.
It didn't...
When the nav-info is accessed, it says it is receiving no satellites.
So the navigation is just working from the distance and direction sensors, and not the GPS, as you can place the car on the map manually and let it go from there, and it works. But if the car goes onto a transporter and doesn't physically move , then the satnav still thinks it is where it got onto the trailer.
Its booked back into the dealers in the morning to have a look.
Anyone heard of this before or had similar problems?

Froggy
29-04-2008, 11:12 AM
You GPS antenna or the connections to it are borked. If it's under warranty the dealer should sort it quite quickly.

Abyss
29-04-2008, 05:35 PM
You GPS antenna or the connections to it are borked. If it's under warranty the dealer should sort it quite quickly.

And it was the antenna - and they had a new one in stock and replaced it and its working great now !

toff
04-05-2008, 11:17 PM
Any ideas?

Hi,

If your disc was filthy, I can only assume there is also dirt / dust in your Nav unit DVD area.

As you drive, this dirt / dust gets shaken-up and interupts the laser reading the disc? just a thought.

Perhaps it needs a good old clean out!

spo666
29-04-2009, 05:48 PM
My original disk became unreadable, cleaned it but still says unreadable, bought new disk of e.bay same problem, but both disk 2's work fine:confused:
Any ideas?

Flakmunky
29-04-2009, 07:29 PM
laser

spo666
30-04-2009, 09:10 AM
If it is the Laser can it be replaced??

Flakmunky
30-04-2009, 10:31 AM
Yes it can, look on Ebay for RNS-E parts. Also look on navplus.us for a how-to.

MooreOrLess
31-07-2009, 01:26 PM
Hi. I have an Audi BNS 4.X system install in my 2003 A4 saloon. For some reason it is not able to detect any satellites anymore, so obviously it is not working. Does anyone know any quick tests that I can do to establish the problem or any suggestions as to the cause? I was thinking that maybe it was the antenna. Anyone know where it is located in the car and how easy it is to replace?

Thanks

Jon

Petercherrie
29-09-2009, 01:15 PM
My Sat Nav stopped reading the DVD and Audi would only replace the whole unit. I was delighted to find a repair service was offered by Maple Audio of Bath. Therefore, I had the unit remove from it's housing in the boot and sent it by post where they fitted a new laser at £180 including postage.:Blush:

shahid8850
02-03-2010, 01:46 PM
Hello SPO666

did you find out what the actual problem is? As i have the same problem with my sat nav unit.

Thanks

spo666
02-03-2010, 02:01 PM
Yes. It was the DVD unit within the RNS-e. I had to get and fit a new one from Rabbit.

shahid8850
02-03-2010, 02:02 PM
How much did it cost you for the new DVD unit? and did you fit it yourself?

spo666
02-03-2010, 04:05 PM
It was about £140 and I did fit it myself, it was fiddly but got there in the end.
I did find Rabbit gives the best price and a comprehensive instruction guide and when I did get stuck he was accessible
via e.mail for help.