PDA

View Full Version : New Passat owner

LFK
19-12-2006, 08:32 PM
I already posed this in another thread, so I'll be brief here.

I just bought a 1992 Passat for my 16 year old daughter.

I'm new to these cars, and like to do things myself, so I'm sure you'll get tired of me asking questions/seeking help real fast.

Thanks for having this place!

-LFK

RickT
08-01-2007, 01:36 AM
Hello and Welcome to the Forum!

Hows the passet running??

RicKT

LFK
08-01-2007, 03:46 AM
Thanks for the welcome RicKT.

I took it in and had a "safety" check done on it at my local st(d)ealership. $4300.00 to fix everything they found. Of course, I specifically asked to have the timing belt checked (as I've read on this forum and others, that can be a serious issue). They failed to mention anything about the belt, even after I called the next day and asked for that information. They can't remember, and didn't write anything down concerning the belts. :zx11:

They did, however identify:

The master brake cylinder is leaking
The sun roof assembly (including rails) needs to be replaced
The diver's window motor and regulator need to be replaced
A CV boot is bad
Rotors need to be turned
Brake pads and tires will need to be replaced soon
Rear bearings should be re-packed
Total= $4,300.00

Of course, I had them replace the brake cylinder, but the rest I can do myself this summer.

Other than that, the things drives fine. It seems like a solid car, just a little neglected. Teaching my daughter how to drive the stick has been a rewarding experience. She picked it up right away, and has been bragging to everyone about how she "even likes it better then the other kind." :biglaugh:

Anyway, thanks again for asking. I'm sure I'll be back with a ton of questions this Spring.

No one ever did answer my initial post/question. The locks are still an issue. The key doesn't lock the whole car down, it can only be all-locked up from the inside (by pushing down on the driver's lock).

-Cheers