PDA

View Full Version : A3 1.6 Sport 1996

Asha08
24-04-2008, 04:35 PM
:zx11::zx11::zx11:i have had nothing but problems with this car. Apart from having a new clutch, radiator, mass air flow meter etc. im stumped as to what has happened now, i was doing 75 on the motorway the other day and the car began to choke and just lost power (almost as if i had ran out of petrol) and struggled to carry on driving. I had to pull over on hard shoulder. Restarted and everything seemed ok - even tho it baffled me. However after a few days the same problem has returned and wont go away, the car will not go higher than 2000 revs or do more then 20mph. I cleaned the throttle body out as it was full of carbon due to other problems. I am wondering whether i could have possibly done something wrong as it is only after this that it has happened. I seriously feel like burning the car it has cost me so much money and am reluctant to sell it as i have replaced nearly eveything. The car has problems with petrol consumption. I have several mechanics of whom are clueless. The problem definatley involves petrol consumption as i am lucky if i get 30 miles out of £10.00. Someone mentioned something about water getting into the petrol can cause the car to choke like this as they have experienced this themselves. However no-one is able to shed anymore light on the sitution. The water leaks out somehow as it constantly beeps to be re-filled. Any ideas would be much welcomed. thanks:biglaugh:

omegadirective
24-04-2008, 04:55 PM
If you've cleaned the throttle body you will need to recalibrate it using VAG-COM or get your local ******* to do it if it hasn't been done already.

Have you tried wiping the cars stored settings? (Take battery out for 10-15 minutes) The car will then need to relearn your driving style but might help smooth things out.

Also, have you noticed any water leaking out from underneath your car? That may help to pinpoint where the leaking area is.

I'm no expert so maybe some of these suggestions are just a load of balls. The 1.6 engine is full of problems I hear. Especially upto 2001. I've had problems with my 2000 A3, but still love the car to bits. Would love to upgrade to a 1.8T Quattro.

If you really can't find anything wrong with your car, make it easy for someone to steal and claim off the insurance! (Not recommended really. lol :p)