PDA

View Full Version : Clutch change Golf Mk III 1.8

brianf
19-12-2006, 07:06 PM
Can anyone tell me what is involved in changing the clutch assembly? The reason I ask is that I just had mine done and I expected to see evidence of the bolts around the left hand side of the engine (bell housing) having been removed. However, they are sufficiently dirty for it to be obvious that they have not been disturbed. In fact, from the top I can't see anything that looks disturbed. As I have never worked on the Golf engine assembly, I have no idea what is involved. Is there an access hatch underneath?
The clutch now operates low down in the pedal travel whereas it was at the top over the last few days and slipping.
The VW independent garage has charged me for a new clutch assembly and 4 hours of work. When I went (at the agreed time) to collect the car, a mechanic was out doing a road test (on a new clutch?) and when he arrived (30 minutes late) he removed what looked like a cardboard box of spare parts from the passenger seat so I think he had been shopping on my fuel. The car gained 30km. What a way to impress a new customer!

brianf
21-12-2006, 11:45 PM
Can't anyone tell me how to change the clutch assembly on a MkIII Golf 1.8?

Boardboy
22-12-2006, 01:23 AM
Hi briabf You have to remove the bolts from around "bell housing". There is no "hatch" to gain access underneath. The starter motor has to come off also. Is there any evidence of that being removed?
As for a 30km road test for a clutch is taking the p**s!
Regards Boardboy

brianf
22-12-2006, 09:53 AM
Hi briabf You have to remove the bolts from around "bell housing". There is no "hatch" to gain access underneath. The starter motor has to come off also. Is there any evidence of that being removed?
Regards Boardboy
There is absolutely no evidence of any bolts/nuts visible from the top side having been touched. The starter motor also shows no sign of removal. The only change I can see is lots of grease on the joints of the lever mechanism that stands up above the clutch housing. The burning question is, what could they have done to restore normal clutch operation? The pedal movement is still the same and the clutch now engages very low down. Previously it was only engaging at the top and was slipping.
I found an American web site (http://www.forparts.com/ICclutchreplacement12.01.htm) that talks about clutch problems on the earlier Golfs, where they say there is a pushrod that can stick which causes clutch slip. However, it doesn't explain how or if that sticking pushrod can be released.
It certainly now behaves as though the clutch assembly has been replaced but I can't see how they could have done it unless a squirt of WD40 could have somehow been applied to that pushrod from the outside.
I feel sure I've been had. The problem is - what the hell can I do about it other than never go there again?

brianf
04-01-2007, 09:43 AM
Regards Boardboy

I had it checked out by another independent and he agreed that, from the top, he couldn't see any signs of dismantling. However, on the lift it was evident, from below, that the drive shafts and bell housing nuts had been removed. They'd even left a support bracket hanging loose that should've been attached to one of the bell housing nuts. The mechanic re-attached that and charged me nothing for the verification. Good PR - I shall go there next time.

Boardboy
04-01-2007, 04:18 PM
Glad you got it sorted. I think I'd still aviod the original garage though, like I said 30km for a road test is taking the p**s
Regards Boardboy

brianf
04-01-2007, 04:23 PM
Glad you got it sorted. I think I'd still aviod the original garage though, like I said 30km for a road test is taking the p**s
Regards Boardboy

Agreed. Furthermore, they applied their name to the rear end without asking my permission. I hope I can remove it without damage to the paintwork.