PDA

View Full Version : A3 1.4tfsi Se

ESL
24-04-2008, 08:52 AM
Hello all.

Not a niggle post or a can you help, just a happy owner of my first ever Audi.

Been driving a beemer 320D M Sport for the last three years as a company car, but finally started wondering about why I was paying the taxman so much to drive a company car. Long and short of it was, I wanted a more tax efficient motor. I see the writing on the wall for diesel as well and wanted to to pay less for fuel - so what to buy?

Audi A3 Sportback 1.4 TFSI in SE Trim on an 08 plate. This easily matches the M Sport in equipment to my mind, and the suspension on the Audi is far more comfortable, but it's the engine that is a revelation. Because it's a turbo, you really don't feel it's "only" a 1.4. It pulls easily from as low as 1300rpm and apart from the lack of a diesel engine note - you could be forgiven for thinking it was a diesel as it pulls so well and when you do push on a bit, it's a very pleasing engine note.

It tracks better than the beemer on the road as well. The beemer's big 18inch alloys and frankly awful run-flat tyres, used to tramline like hell; Sometimes a very unnerving experience. The Audi is much better in this respect. I up-specced a little to get 17inch 5 spoke alloys, which I thought was more traditional on an Audi than the standard 20 spoke alloys, and the ride is sporty and surefooted. If I have any observation on the handling, it is that the steering seems to be over-isolated from the driver, as feedback is low. But it is light and very positive.

I have also noticed that on the beemer, the traction control was never far away from intervening when driving with "enthusiasm", with the ESP light always too ready to flicker on. With the Audi, the intervention threshold seems higher, as the same style of driving seems to allow the car to perform much more naturally for longer and you get a better feel for how the car is handling, before the ESP starts to remind you that you are nearing the edge of traction.

The real surprise is the silence - pull up at traffic lights and you do find yourself looking at the rev counter to see if the engine is still running, it is soooo quiet. It's almost like driving a "stop-start".

Fuel economy is good for a petrol and over the last 3000 miles I have been averaging 48mpg. But I have noticed the fuel economy has dropped from it's initial fill. I suspect it was initially filled with super 98RON and I have been using 95. I'm going to try a couple of tanks of 98 to see what the economy does as I suspect the turbo really works better with it.

So - am I pleased with my "downgrade" to a lower spec Audi? You betcha - big time! I feel more comfortable, it's quieter, torquey, smaller, and very practical. I have driven around town, one end of the country and back and had four adults and a long weekends' worth of luggage off on a mini break, and the A3 has been faultless, practical and economic.

I'm chuffed to bits with it.

prolfe
26-04-2008, 09:00 PM
Glad you like it so much.

It's been designed so so well. The interior is beautiful.

jibbsy
17-07-2008, 08:30 PM
Is it possible to have a quick update on how you are doing with fuel economy on this car, and what sort of driving you do to achieve the figures you are getting.

Many Thanks

prolfe
17-07-2008, 09:13 PM
Official figures are:

Urban: 35.8
Out Of Town: 56.5
Average: 47.1

So booting it around all day on A, B and motorways you'll achieve more than the 35.8mpg but less than the 47.1mpg

I drove a 140bhp 1.4 TSI golf, which is slightly different in that it not only has a Turbo but a Supercharger as well.

It's official figures are:

29.7mpg
49.6mpg
39.8mpg

But on a test run of about 50 minutes I only achieved 25.3mpg !!

Which I thought was shocking. I drove it the way I drive my A3 and thought it should be at least in the low 30's.

Drive one for a couple of hours and see.

ESL
21-07-2008, 08:10 AM
Well I have had mine for a few months now and I'm still very impressed. Fuel economy has settled down now and I have lots of real-life data on what's what.

My typical drive is some long distance cruising (always within the national limits, but not far off them). But with a goodly amount of short distance commuting, which drops my overall mpg.

Spot Readings Taken from the trip computer average MPG once a steady rate has been achieved
MAX mpg achieved on a cruise - 54mpg (air con to ECON, steady 55mph)
Average cruise - 46.3mpg (air con to auto, steady 65mph)
Around town - 41.00mpg (heating system off, windows open, keeping to the 30 and 40 speed limits.

Total average readings (all fills, all mileages since owned, Mar 03 to now.)

MAX MPG = 44.3
MIN MPG = 32.5
AVG MPG = 40.2

This is compared to the "official" Combined figure of 43.5. so I reckon that most of the time I'm only 3.5 mpg off Audi's posted combined figure. I normally work this out also in cost per mile, and for this car on petrol at current prices, I am paying between 11p and 12.6p per mile (depending how I drive).

My old BMW 2.0D was costing me between 9.9p and 10.5p per mile in January/February, but with the cost of diesel these days, I'm sure it is much higher than that today

So I think it's about on the money and - driven carefully - easily makes the manufacturers figures. It's a very pleasant drive, responds very well to a poke on the accelerator and is a smooth, relaxed drive.

One thing I have noticed though, is that to get max fuel economy, it's no use just switching the air con to "ECON", you have to turn the system completely off. ECON seems just to stop the circulation of chilled air - but not actually disengage the aircon system. When switched completely off - you easy get 4 to 5 extra mpg. I don't know how the Audi air-con system is configured, but it seems to work well anyway.

Everything else is terrific and I love the gadgets. The self dipping rear view mirror, automatic headlights, automatic wipers etc. all work perfectly. 5 months now - and I'm still well chuffed!

mluton
21-07-2008, 08:39 AM
Great read

ESL
21-07-2008, 10:01 AM
One thing I have noticed, is the A3's response to putting super unleaded in. I have always used Shell petrol, simply because my local Shell Garage happens to be the cheapest by a long way for about 6 miles.

As a test, I have been alternating tankfulls with Regular and then VPower. The change is always noticeable - not massive - but definitely there.

On regular - everything is smooth, quiet and as you would expect. Put some 98 octane VPower in and it all seems so much smoother and quieter, if you get my drift - but you also get a better throttle and turbo response. Again, not massive but it's really there, you can tell. And another benefit is a few extra mpg or so on longer runs. (This is based upon my fuel/mpg calculations - not from the trip meter.)

Audi state that the 1.4TFSI should be run on a minimum of 95RON (Regular). But the Audi does have an octane sensitive fuel system, so will self-adjust to get the best performance if higher RON fuel is used.

I currently calculate that I get about 9.22 miles per litre using regular, and about 9.88 using VPower (41.5-ish vs 44.5-ish mpg) so with the increased cost of VPower over "Regular", it's probably marginal these days if the increased performance and mpg is actually worth the higher cost, but you might find this information useful anyway.

VPower as with all "premium" fuels does have useful additives to keep things clean and working at their optimum, so I am keeping to a general plan of using VPower about one in every 4 fills. Time will tell if this makes any real sense or not.

mluton
21-07-2008, 10:14 AM
I have had a play with the fuel in mine and I get what your on about with the smoothness of the power. I also get a few extra MPG, so the extra cost is worth it IMHO.

ESL
21-07-2008, 10:51 AM
I have spoken to a few people who get measured good results with VPower.

BTW, I very nearly went for an Octavia, not the VRS, but the 2.0TDI in L&K spec. Sometimes - just sometimes, I see a L&K or VRS and wish I had jumped that way. But that does not take anything away from the A3 - it's a cracking good drive.

prolfe
21-07-2008, 12:02 PM
I have spoken to a few people who get measured good results with VPower.

BTW, I very nearly went for an Octavia, not the VRS, but the 2.0TDI in L&K spec. Sometimes - just sometimes, I see a L&K or VRS and wish I had jumped that way. But that does not take anything away from the A3 - it's a cracking good drive.

That, it is.

I have just fallen in love with my car again after it was in for a repair for 4 days and I had a lexus is220d SE-L.

jibbsy
21-07-2008, 07:58 PM
Thanks for your replies. It looks like it is turning out to be a decent engine and a definate one to consider.

jamojdm
27-09-2008, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the review of the 1.4tfsi.

I'm going for a test drive in an ex demo s-line 1.4tfsi on monday.

Anything to look out for?

ESL
30-09-2008, 08:21 AM
Thanks for the review of the 1.4tfsi.

I'm going for a test drive in an ex demo s-line 1.4tfsi on monday.

Anything to look out for?

Sorry, missed your post, as I don't look in every day - criminal I know :D

Hope you enjoyed your test drive - the S-Line spec is really nice, but I prefer the comfort of the SE. Can't think of anything to check really - but I guess as an ex demo motor, everything should still be nice and tight, no squeaks or rattles. Might be worth looking closely at the alloys to make sure they have not been "dinged". Nothing worse than a nice new motor with dinged alloys...

;)

jsol15
29-12-2008, 07:34 PM
hi, read your review with interest, was looking at a TDI S-line but with the figures your getting and the difference in the cost of petrol v diesel the 1.4 unit makes an interesting proposition. been on the audi website and there are a few ex-demos' out there in various trims, noticed that none of them use DSG gearbox though , can the DSG gearbox be used with the 1.4?

ESL
05-01-2009, 09:01 AM
As far as I know, the 1.4 TFSI is available with the S-Tronic Box. Perhaps it's not a popular choice because people think it's a low powered petrol jobby. In fact, with the amount of low down torque available - an autobox on this motor would be an ideal match.

As a long term update - still love it, no niggles at all after 9 months and 15000 miles, and returning an average 42.6 MPG just shy of the official Combined figure of 43.5.

jsol15
05-01-2009, 07:25 PM
thats pretty impressive mpg, I will deffo consider getting the 1.4 if the right car came along.