PDA

View Full Version : Clunky Bora!

craig.scoobsvil
23-04-2008, 06:25 PM
Hi All.

I bought a Bora TDi 130 last month and set about altering the cosmetic appearance of it. First up was lowering, Spax shockers were already fitted and I got the springs with the car so it was the easy option. The car was ok after lowering on the OZ 17" wheels that were on but I have since fitted RS6 18"s and there is a clunking sound, I think from the nearside front when turning left at anything over 30mph. I checked the bushes and found the rear lower arm bush non N.S.F. worn so replaced the full arm. Improved now but still clunking on slightly sharper left handers at similar speed. The N.S.F tyre does rub on the inner arch but I'm not turning sharp enough for this to be the cause of the clunk. I'm new to VW's but well impressed so far, I just hope I can keep these wheels on cos I like the look.

Now, Your turn!

onzarob
24-04-2008, 11:08 PM
Welcome to the forum, maybe a wheel bearing?

craig.scoobsvil
25-04-2008, 10:14 PM
I thought that but it's not a typical wheel bearing type noise. I'm going to use it for a week or so and see if there is any sign of wear on whatever is clunking. Changing the bottom arm made it a lot better but it still does the same clunk as before only I have to be going faster now to make it do it. Strange! Your advice is much appreciated and I'm sure being a VW newbie I'll be needing plenty more from you and the others on here. While I'm on the subject:-

Where will I get a boost pipe ? (the one from the cooler to the turbo on the inner wing) as mine keeps blowing out.
What's the max power that can be squeezed out of a 130? (it is already chipped by Turbopaks to 160)
Are there usually any problems when fitting 18's on the Bora or will it be fine when I sort this issue?
Is there a front mount that will bolt straight on and does it make a difference?
Can the boost be turned up?

Sorry for all the questions but my knowledge on these cars is nil. I can build a Subaru Impreza from the ground up with my eyes shut but I don't do Diesels..............well I do now!

golf tdi 02
26-04-2008, 12:07 AM
hello and welcome to the site

:beerchug::beerchug:

bladerider666
05-02-2009, 02:58 PM
any chance of a drive shaft hitting the anti roll bar??

craig.scoobsvil
06-02-2009, 11:59 PM
It turned out it was the Audi RS6 offset was wrong (not surprising really since they were made for a bigger 4 wheel drive motor) combined with a bent shocker on the near side so a new shocker and pair of 4mm spacers on the front sorted that one out :biggthump

Cheers.